ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Speeding ticket-to answer yes or no to criminal offenseQ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmpapplicant123
Newly Registered

US Speeding ticket-to answer yes or no to criminal offenseQ?

Post by hsmpapplicant123 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:30 pm

Speeding ticket ( just a monetary fine, but not in driving record) .. out of state ticket-in US ==>> suppossed to answer Yes or No to the criminal offense Q in the Tier 1 gen appln ??

Any answers from any US applicants to Tier1 (general) ??
Thanks in advance..

niw2
Member of Standing

Post by niw2 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:41 pm

A speeding ticket on its own does not constitute a conviction for a criminal offense.

hsmpapplicant123
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpapplicant123 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:19 am

niw2, I got this something on here( http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... character/)

"You must give details of all unspent criminal convictions. This includes road traffic offences but not fixed penalty notices (such as speeding or parking tickets) unless they were given in court"

I guess road traffic offenses , they mean driving w.o license or insurance etc..

The above is citizenship req., not sure if it applies to tier 1 appln..and those in other countries..

To summarize, I think , monetary fines for speeding and parking tickets are not considered traffic offenses to be counted.

Anybody else adding related info here> will be useful to all..
niw2 wrote:A speeding ticket on its own does not constitute a conviction for a criminal offense.

Jackie123

Post by Jackie123 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Well, I have a simialr situation. I have 3 points endorsed on my UK driving license. I checked with met police department and also from HO.

So my conclusion to this is that we should declare the offence. Because if you don't declare, there are chances that they check ur records and then it can be a problem, otherwise they tend to ignore speeding offences but we have to declare.

Senior memberrs - Any comments??

Cheers!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:52 am

My two cents - hiding the fact might do you more harm than declaring it. Mention it and state that all you got was a monetory penalty. As others have suggested it's nothing serious, so why shy away, when in doubt?

Reading this might be useful.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

hsmpapplicant123
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpapplicant123 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:41 am

Thanks all for the comments..

This Q arose in the first place because it only asked " were you involved in any criminal offence(including traffic related )..."
So, I wasn't sure if speeding ticket was considered a criminal traffic offense..

so, to summarize, as per the text from the offical web site since fixed amount fine speeding tickets or parking tickets are not considered criminal traffic offence (driving w.o insurance and w.o license wud be) , one need not mention these..but, as sushdmehta opined, there is no harm even if they r mentioned and prob'ly its better to report everything to be on the safe side.
sushdmehta wrote:My two cents - hiding the fact might do you more harm than declaring it. Mention it and state that all you got was a monetory penalty. As others have suggested it's nothing serious, so why shy away, when in doubt?

Reading this might be useful.

regards