ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

work permit holder with a student visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bsi
Newly Registered

work permit holder with a student visa

Post by bsi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:24 pm

I came here on the 1st of November 2003 as a work permit holder, but at the same time I have a student visa on my passport. I will be applying this October for permanent residency because on this time it will be my five years of stay here in UK. Will there be a problem in pursuing my application to PR because I have this student visa? Hoping for a reply soon because I am worrying too much about this. Thank you.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Will there be a problem in pursuing my application to PR because I have this student visa?
Well yes, a big problem. If you "only" have a student visa then your ILR clock has not even started to tick! So an application for ILR would be bound to fail.

But I don't understand, if you have a Work Permit, why have you got a student visa? Have you been studying? Have you been restricting your working hours to 20 hours per week during term-time?
John

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:16 am

bsi,
It would be easier if you provide more details on the visas you hold.
If my interpretation is correct, you arrived in the UK with a valid Work Permit and an Entry Clearance related to the Work permit and you have worked for that particular employer for almost 5 years (on nov 2008).
Is that correct?

- having other entry clearances on the passport has no effect on your ILR (by itself), for example, when I applied for my ILR I had a WP EC, a HSMP EC and a HSMP EC Extension....basically the most recent EC takes presedence over the previous one.....
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

florecita878
Newly Registered

6 months entry

Post by florecita878 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:24 pm

I'm chilean and I came here to the UK w/the 6 months entry we get, is it allowed if I study or work? I mean what is legally necessary to do so, thanks.. help!!!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: 6 months entry

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:55 pm

florecita878 wrote:I'm chilean and I came here to the UK w/the 6 months entry we get, is it allowed if I study or work? I mean what is legally necessary to do so, thanks.. help!!!
No and no.

You need to return to Chile and apply for a student visa (expensive) or a WP/HSM/Tier 1 working permit for which you need to be highly skilled.

You cannot (normally) switch from a Visitor visa.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:00 pm

bsi, it would be good to get answers to the answers that are being asked.

florecita878, what sort of 6-month visa do you have? A visitor visa? If so the comment from Wanderer is quite right. If however you have a 6-month student visa, then clearly you can study on that.
John

bsi
Newly Registered

Post by bsi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:20 am

yes, I have a work permit and an entry clearance related to my work permit,issued to me on the same year 2003.But I was not working on 20 hrs per week,I work 37.5 hours per week instead ,when I came in the UK.How will this affect my application for my ILR?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:32 am

What exactly is your visa endorsement?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

nevadawipes

Post by nevadawipes » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:16 pm

HI BSI

it is very hard to understand whts is your whole case is about. But as far as i understood you, i think wht you are saying is you entered uk on 6months visitor permit which most of S.americans do and then you extend your visa here as student. if that is the case which one of my friends from bolivia did aswell. then you are not ready for ILR i am afriad.

put some more light on your case m8

grant

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:49 pm

BSI,
I'm going to try and help you again, please provide detailed cronological descriptions of the visas you hold.
For example:
- 1st March 2003 Student visa for english clases, validity 2 years
- 23rd June 2003 Work Permit validity 5 years

That is the type of information you must provide in order to receive help, otherwise it is not possible to provide coherent feedback to you; it is important that you provide the info on the type of visa, date issued and validity period (until when)
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:43 pm

bsi wrote:yes, I have a work permit and an entry clearance related to my work permit,issued to me on the same year 2003.But I was not working on 20 hrs per week,I work 37.5 hours per week instead ,when I came in the UK.How will this affect my application for my ILR?
You don't have a work permit just because you have a student visa.
A student visa allows you to work but it isn't a work permit.
If you have worked more hours than 20/wk on your student visa, then you could have wrought serious consequences.
Thus, please be clear. It is quite impossible to have a student visa and a work visa as one would have canceled the other.
So please give the answers requested so far demanded in this thread

florecita878
Newly Registered

Post by florecita878 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:28 pm

John wrote:bsi, it would be good to get answers to the answers that are being asked.

florecita878, what sort of 6-month visa do you have? A visitor visa? If so the comment from Wanderer is quite right. If however you have a 6-month student visa, then clearly you can study on that.
Well, as chilean I'm allowed to stay in the UK for 6 months -as visitor. I didn't apply for a visa b/c it wasn't necessary. So, if that's the answer to my question then I guess I'll have to come back and apply from there.

adindas

Post by adindas » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:58 am

bsi

You have not provide the satidfactory answer to the questions. If you see that the people in this forum have a lot of things to ask. Do not expect that the UKBA would not given the recent chnage that we all experience.

For instance, why do not you cancel your students visa and get your LTR after geting your work permit, while working 37.5 hours a week?. Is not that you could still study PT with your LTR under work permit ?. Is not that strange ???. I am pretty sure that the UKBA will be very interesting to get a satisfactory answer for this question.

bsi wrote:yes, I have a work permit and an entry clearance related to my work permit,issued to me on the same year 2003.But I was not working on 20 hrs per week,I work 37.5 hours per week instead ,when I came in the UK.How will this affect my application for my ILR?