ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will the time spent on dependent visa be counted towards PR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

reachme20081
Newly Registered

Will the time spent on dependent visa be counted towards PR

Post by reachme20081 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi

I have been in UK for 3 years on a work permit. Now if I switch to dependent visa of my spouse who is holding a tier 1 visa. Will I be able to apply for PR after 2 years. In short will the time spent on dependent visa be counted towards PR independently with out my spouse applying for a PR?

Some one please reply

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:55 pm

If you move on to a dependent visa, you can only apply at the same time as your spouse - that is, you cannot apply independently for ILR as a dependent.

The only exception to this is, I believe, ILR based on Long Residencies (10yr, 14yr).

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:44 pm

How long has your spouse had Tier 1? If it's less than you, then don't switch to be a dependant. In fact dependants of Tier 1 is now much more restricted, as they can't switch to anything else.

So either you switch to Tier 1 on your own (if you want more freedom to move jobs for example), or just stay put for another two years until you get ILR.
Perry Ismangil

reachme20081
Newly Registered

Post by reachme20081 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi

The problem is I am not getting required points for tier 1 and simultaneously my employer is threatening to send me back to India. My spouse has been on WP for two years and is surely scoring 80 points and making a sure case for tier 1. I am aware of the restrictions of dependent but there seems to be no other option. Anyways I am thinking of this as a last option and trying to find some employer who will give me a WP. What do u say friend. Please advise

Many thanks
ismangil wrote:How long has your spouse had Tier 1? If it's less than you, then don't switch to be a dependant. In fact dependants of Tier 1 is now much more restricted, as they can't switch to anything else.

So either you switch to Tier 1 on your own (if you want more freedom to move jobs for example), or just stay put for another two years until you get ILR.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:44 pm

reachme20081 wrote:simultaneously my employer is threatening to send me back to India.
Can you not report him for discrimination? At least after you've sorted yourself. Just because they sponsor your WP doesn't mean they owe you. I would like to see them threatening a Scot to send them back to Scotland.
Do not live your life in fear.