ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

[b]English language - masters degree or bachelor degree[/b]

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

newapplicant

[b]English language - masters degree or bachelor degree[/b]

Post by newapplicant » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:06 pm

English language -- masters degree or bachelor degree.

Folks,

Urgent help please...

I have done my masters degree MCA(3 years) and prior to that Bsc(3 years).

I am claiming 35 points for my qualification(masters) and while selecting english languge requirement in the BIA tool, my MCA is listed.

Please suggest If i can submit my masters degree certificate for both qualification and english language requirement. heard that we need to submit only Bachelors degree for englsih langauge requirement

Help regarding this is very much appreciated..

Thanks in advance

aaanjoo

Re: [b]English language - masters degree or bachelor degree[

Post by aaanjoo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:25 pm

newapplicant,
Simply go to bia points calculator, http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator.
which ever degree is giving you english language requirement points, send that degree to them. There is no harm in sending both your degrees. but make sure you are getting points in qualification and english language requirement on pointscalculator.
newapplicant wrote:English language -- masters degree or bachelor degree.

Folks,

Urgent help please...

I am claiming 35 points for my qualification(masters) and while selecting english languge requirement in the BIA tool, my MCA is listed.

Please suggest If i can submit my masters degree certificate for both qualification and english language requirement. heard that we need to submit only Bachelors degree for englsih langauge requirement

Thanks in advance

tier1_applicant

Post by tier1_applicant » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi,

If BIA tools accepts your master for qualification and english language points, then you can send single master degree for both purposes without any fear.

In HSMP, only bachelor's degree was allowed for english language, however, in Tier 1, it can be bachelor's or above including Phd.

Follow the link:

http://www.vfs-uk-in.com/pbsguidance.aspx

and see

"you hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom Bachelors degree or above"

Regards,
newapplicant wrote:English language -- masters degree or bachelor degree.

Folks,

Urgent help please...

Thanks in advance

coolsats
BANNED

Post by coolsats » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:15 am

Hi,

I was in the same situation as you were. Here is what i did, even my MCA gave me points for english.
But in the Cover letter i said that, though i am getting points for english, but however am still attaching my Bsc degree certificaties along with the university english letter for further clarity.
So, send both the doucments, Bsc as well as MCA for english..

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:03 am

UKBA notes on English language Requirement-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... hlanguage/

There are three ways that you can score points for English language. You can:

1. be a national of a majority English speaking country; or
2. pass an English language test on our list of approved English language tests (PDF 44K opens in new window); or
3. hold a degree assessed by UK NARIC as being taught in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom bachelor's degree or above.

If your Bachleor's degree (Country, State, University and the degree course) is listed on Assessment tool then you will be entitled for meeting this requirement.

I don't think 'or above' here means Maters or PhD.

During HSMP days, following argument was quoted on Caseworker's manual on English Language requirement

Can higher education qualifications other than Bachelor degrees, which have been taught in English, be accepted in this category?

No. Degrees higher than Bachelor level, such as Masters degrees and PhDs, are not acceptable in this category, for the following reasons:
• students of degrees higher than Bachelor level are not necessarily required to practice listening, reading, writing and speaking in English as in Bachelor degrees;
• the duration of courses may be less than that of a Bachelor degree, which is three years of full time study

nevadawipes

Post by nevadawipes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:16 am

Hi Newapplicant,

As your masters degree is accepted by the english language section of the tool, you are ok to use the same masters degree for the qualifications and english requirement as it says clrealy on the UKBA guidance notes that "There are three ways that you can score points for English language. You can:

2. pass an English language test on our list of approved English language tests (PDF 44K opens in new window); or
3. hold a degree assessed by UK NARIC as being taught in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom bachelor's degree or above. "

Hope this helps

Regards[/b]

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:18 am

rajesh9pl wrote:I don't think 'or above' here means Maters or PhD.

Please don't confuse HSMP with Tier 1, following excerpt is directly from Immigration rules (and not guidance notes):

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixb/
2. 10 points will only be awarded if the applicant:

(a) has the level of English language shown in the table below and:

(i) provides an original English language test certificate from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, which clearly shows the applicant's name; the qualification obtained (which must meet or exceed the level shown in the table below); and the date of the award, or

(ii) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or a PhD in the UK, and which UK NARIC has confirmed was taught or researched in English to the level indicated in the table below, and provides the specified documents, or

newapplicant

Post by newapplicant » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:24 am

Many thanks dear friend.

So do you want me to send both the degrees. will do. However in the application form, Is it okay if I keep evidence as MCA degree and in the cover letter I can mention that am attaching BSC degree like that
coolsats wrote:Hi,

I was in the same situation as you were. Here is what i did, even my MCA gave me points for english.
But in the Cover letter i said that, though i am getting points for english, but however am still attaching my Bsc degree certificaties along with the university english letter for further clarity.
So, send both the doucments, Bsc as well as MCA for english..

newapplicant

Post by newapplicant » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:25 am

Many Thanks
nevadawipes wrote:Hi Newapplicant,

As your masters degree is accepted by the english language section of the tool, you are ok to use the same masters degree for the qualifications and english requirement as it says clrealy on the UKBA guidance notes that "There are three ways that you can score points for English language. You can:

3. hold a degree assessed by UK NARIC as being taught in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom bachelor's degree or above. "

Hope this helps

Regards[/b]

newapplicant

Post by newapplicant » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Friends please some one could you answer more on this topic please.

As my MCA degree is showing 10 points for english, will it suffice or you want me to show Bsc degree also

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:25 pm

Ask yourself a simple question - If only bachelor degree qualification are considered valid evidence to fulfil English Language requirements, then why does the self-assessment tool lists qualifications other than bachelor degrees (or equivalent) in the English Language requirement section???
Tier 1 policy guidance ver 06/08 wrote:199. Applicants should check their qualification by referring to the points-based calculator on our
website at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... ssessment/.
200. Where the points-based calculator is unable to confirm these details, points will not be awarded for the qualification in question.
Where does it say that one should only check his bachelor qualification for english requirements??
Tier 1 policy guidance ver 06/08 wrote:195. The qualifi cation must:
• be recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to at least a United Kingdom bachelor’s degree; and
• have been taught in English to a standard comparable to that of level C1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of
Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR). Details can be found on the Council of Europe website at http://www.coe.
int/t/dg4/linguistic/CADRE_EN.asp.
Don't misconstrue the essence of the text highlighted in blue as meaning *bachelor degree only*.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

newapplicant

Post by newapplicant » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Many Many thanks..I know am getting confused my self. Thanks for your pointer. I'll submit my MCA degree for both qualification and English language

sushdmehta wrote:Ask yourself a simple question - If only bachelor degree qualification are considered valid evidence to fulfil English Language requirements, then why does the self-assessment tool lists qualifications other than bachelor degrees (or equivalent) in the English Language requirement section???
Tier 1 policy guidance ver 06/08 wrote:199. Applicants should check their qualification by referring to the points-based calculator on our
website at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... ssessment/.
200. Where the points-based calculator is unable to confirm these details, points will not be awarded for the qualification in question.
Where does it say that one should only check his bachelor qualification for english requirements??
Tier 1 policy guidance ver 06/08 wrote:195. The qualifi cation must:
• be recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to at least a United Kingdom bachelor’s degree; and
• have been taught in English to a standard comparable to that of level C1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of
Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR). Details can be found on the Council of Europe website at http://www.coe.
int/t/dg4/linguistic/CADRE_EN.asp.
Don't misconstrue the essence of the text highlighted in blue as meaning *bachelor degree only*.

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Anyone suggesting that english language requirements in Tier 1 can only be met by bechelor level qualification(s) has clearly not understood the rules of the game.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:25 pm

Agree!

nevadawipes

Post by nevadawipes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:58 pm

what are you on about rajesh. Here is wht you quoted earlier today.

rajesh9pl wrote:UKBA notes on English language Requirement-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... hlanguage/

There are three ways that you can score points for English language. You can:

3. hold a degree assessed by UK NARIC as being taught in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom bachelor's degree or above.

If your Bachleor's degree (Country, State, University and the degree course) is listed on Assessment tool then you will be entitled for meeting this requirement.

I don't think 'or above' here means Maters or PhD.
I completely Agree with Mr Mehta and as i have mentioned in my earlier post today just submit your MCA degree as a proof for qualification and english requirement and you should be fine. dnt confuse them by sending two different degree's. atleast thats my opinion, rest is upto you my friend.

Kind Regards to all!!

Grant