ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship online application for US citizen - English language proof requested

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kylelondonuk
Newly Registered
United States of America

Citizenship online application for US citizen - English language proof requested

Post by kylelondonuk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi,

My husband is preparing his British citizenship application. He is a US citizen with a US passport, but the online application is still asking him to supply proof of a Bachelor's degree or higher to confirm his knowledge of the English language. I can't see any way to avoid this in the form, even though the guidance clearly states the USA is on a list of exempt countries. See the guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/english-language and here: https://www.gov.uk/english-language/exemptions )

Has anybody else from one of these countries applied online recently and got stuck on this section of the form?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship online application for US citizen - English language proof requested

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Did he get ilr now??

Do not tick the degree box in the form!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nerazzuri
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship online application for US citizen - English language proof requested

Post by Nerazzuri » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:27 am

Strange because the sequence of questions on the online application will then be this:

Do you have a degree that was taught in English? No

Have you passed an approved English language test? No

Are you claiming an exemption from the English language test due to a medical or mental condition? No

Nerazzuri
United Kingdom

Post by Nerazzuri » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:38 am

It appears from current guidance on GOV.UK that an American citizen needs to demonstrate English language requirements for citizenship, even if it was not required for settlement:

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/exemptions

If you’re applying for citizenship

There are no other exemptions if you’re applying to become a British citizen. You must have a relevant English language qualification even if you were exempt when you were granted settlement.

kylelondonuk
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kylelondonuk » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:35 am

Nerazzuri wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:38 am
It appears from current guidance on GOV.UK that an American citizen needs to demonstrate English language requirements for citizenship, even if it was not required for settlement:

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/exemptions

If you’re applying for citizenship

There are no other exemptions if you’re applying to become a British citizen. You must have a relevant English language qualification even if you were exempt when you were granted settlement.
Hi Nerazzuri,

I think that guidance page actually is saying (although I agree it's confusing):
  • The list of countries (including the USA) are exempt from the English language requirements always (for citizenship and settlement)
  • Then below, where you quoted, it means there are no OTHER/EXTRA exemptions for citizenship (outside of the country list), whereas for settlement, there ARE some more ways you could be exempt, and those are listed next
But I agree with you it would be very strange to answer No, No, No to those 3 questions (especially since it's a lie, he does have a degree from the USA).

CR001, yes ILR is approved as of last Thursday.

kylelondonuk
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kylelondonuk » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:26 am

Nerazzuri, it's also very clear from the paper version of the application (accessible here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -04-19.pdf - see page 7) that you do NOT fill out any degree information if you're from one of the exempt countries. You just give a LIUK test reference number, then tick the box to say you're from an English speaking country. No qualifications questions at all.

At the moment, the paper application seems like the only way to proceed correctly.

Nerazzuri
United Kingdom

Post by Nerazzuri » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:52 am

That’s what I used to understand, which is why it’s strange that the online application doesn’t give you an opportunity to say you’re exempt based on nationality.