ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Earning power and Tier 1 Extension - pls Help

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ruka
Newly Registered

Earning power and Tier 1 Extension - pls Help

Post by ruka » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:22 am

Hi Friends,

I am planning to apply under tier 1 (General) from outside UK.
My points for the attributes is exactly 75 ( 30 for the degree and 45 for earnings). No points for age.

This means at the end of three years for me to qualify for the extension, I need to score for attributes as follows ( 30 - degree, 5 - Uk earning , 40 earnings).

to earn 40 points for earning for my extension I need to earn 35K in the third year. I am an IT professional. I have no idea about the opportunies and salaries there. If by chance I fail to score sufficiently for earnings, can I still stay there? Are there any other visas we can apply for?

I am asking this because, I am planning to take my wife and two kids down there. My main concern is the kids education and I don't intend to come back putting my kids education in trouble.

Thanks a lot

Spear

Post by Spear » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:45 am

If you fail to get the points required at the time when you apply for extension then you WILL have to leave. Goodness know what the extension criteria will be at that time. There are not transitional arrangements for new Tier one applicants. An option at that time will be to ask your employer for a work permit -however the job would have to be advertised in the UK first. If there are not suitable applicants then you can get the work permit at that time.

jagacharaja

Re: Earning power and Tier 1 Extension - pls Help

Post by jagacharaja » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:58 pm

There's no denying it will be a calculated risk if you choose to take it - as Spear mentioned you (and your dependents) won't be legal to stay in the country if you aren't eligible for Tier 1 extension at the time of your renewal. However since you said you have no idea of UK salaries I will add that 35k should be fairly achievable for an IT professional (plus you can try to have multiple jobs as its absolutely allowed under Tier1) - but this is why I say it's a calculated risk - 'caus its an unknown in the equation. Good luck, regardless of what you decide.
ruka wrote:Hi Friends,

I am planning to apply under tier 1 (General) from outside UK.
My points for the attributes is exactly 75 ( 30 for the degree and 45 for earnings). No points for age.

This means at the end of three years for me to qualify for the extension, I need to score for attributes as follows ( 30 - degree, 5 - Uk earning , 40 earnings).

to earn 40 points for earning for my extension I need to earn 35K in the third year. I am an IT professional. I have no idea about the opportunies and salaries there. If by chance I fail to score sufficiently for earnings, can I still stay there? Are there any other visas we can apply for?

I am asking this because, I am planning to take my wife and two kids down there. My main concern is the kids education and I don't intend to come back putting my kids education in trouble.

Thanks a lot

Jackie123

Post by Jackie123 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:59 pm

As per my experience in UK, salary of £35K for an IT professional should be fairly easy to get. But you never know that at that point of time what will be the new rules.