ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American marrying Spainard

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kylekangaroo
Newly Registered

American marrying Spainard

Post by kylekangaroo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:31 am

I am American and marrying a Spainard, but we want to live in another EU country, do we have to live in Spain for a certain period of time, or can we get married and move to another EU country? Thanks!

-Kyle

cantaro

Re: American marrying Spainard

Post by cantaro » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:42 pm

kylekangaroo wrote:I am American and marrying a Spainard, but we want to live in another EU country, do we have to live in Spain for a certain period of time, or can we get married and move to another EU country?
As soon as you are married you can both live and work in any EU member state. Certain countries, however, such as Ireland, make it difficult for the non-EU spouse to obtain a residence card without having previously resided in another EU country. Therefore, if I may ask, where are you planning on living?

kylekangaroo
Newly Registered

Post by kylekangaroo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:31 pm

We are thinking about either France or Germany...are those countries easier when it comes to this?? Thanks!

cantaro

Post by cantaro » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:00 pm

kylekangaroo wrote:We are thinking about either France or Germany...are those countries easier when it comes to this??
From what I read in this forum, others may know more about it, obtaining a residence card in France based on EU rights is fairly straigtforward, and takes between two and four months to complete. My wife's application for residency in Germany took 15 days from start to finish, but it does not apply to you because I am a German citizen; I believe I read that it takes about two to three months for an EU residency application in Germany as well.

kylekangaroo
Newly Registered

Post by kylekangaroo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 pm

what about for a gay couple..would it be the same thing?