ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Starting a Business Abroad before Citizenship Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Starting a Business Abroad before Citizenship Application

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:39 am

Hello,
I was hoping someone could help with this question. While I understand that people who hold ILR can set up companies and do business in the UK
I want to know if there is any issue with registering a company abroad a couple of months before British Citizenship application. Do you have to declare that you own/ started a business abroad even though you are not making any money from it yet?
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Nerazzuri
United Kingdom

Re: Starting a Business Abroad before Citizenship Application

Post by Nerazzuri » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:09 am

There are no requirements about where you own businesses, so long as you continue to remain primarily resident in the UK.

If it appears that you've been permanently away since you set up that business abroad, one would wonder if you intend to remain resident in the UK (one of the requirements for naturalisation).

Also ensure that your taxes are in order. If you've been receiving income from a business abroad, you should be declaring that income to HMRC and paying relevant taxes in the UK on income from abroad. Failure to pay your taxes will lead to questions about good character.