ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR in expiring passport to BRP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

toolongawait
Newly Registered
European Union

ILR in expiring passport to BRP

Post by toolongawait » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi, all,

I've searched and read some previous advice around this topic, but want to double check as well as hear about others' experiences.

I got my ILR in 2010, and got it put into my then-new US passport.
Current passport expires 2020, and I see ILR needs to be in a valid passport to prove right to work, or else need to transfer to a BRP.
I've looked at the online application, which says it can take up to 6 months, and requests all kinds of proof of continuous residence along with the application. So

1) If I apply for a BRP before my current passport expires, will I just take it to UKVCAS appointment when I get one? I have elderly parents abroad and don't want to be without my passport for very long, in case of emergency travel abroad. Also, I may be moving house in the next 6 months, and will presumably have to show my ILR as proof of right to stay or whatever then too.

2) Do they need documentation of continuous residence since the time I arrived in the UK (2003), or since I received the ILR (2010)? After all, I gave them documentation of continuous residence when I got my ILR in 2010, but given how messed up everything seems to be, maybe they'll want to see it all again...

3) I'm assuming given the possible long time-frame (6 months), it's better to apply now, well before the current passport with the ILR in it expires and I have to get a new passport, so there's no gap in documents. You can replace your ILR with a BRP anytime, right?

4) Does it really take 6 months? I don't want to pay an extra £800 for next-day service unless I absolutely have to, so am trying to plan in advance. But have people with uncomplicated cases found the 6 month estimate to be correct?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR in expiring passport to BRP

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 pm

Why not apply for British citizenship??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

toolongawait
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by toolongawait » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:06 pm

I've been thinking about it, but it's expensive and if I could avoid spending that money in the next year, I'd prefer to, and just do the BRP for now.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:00 pm

toolongawait wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:06 pm
I've been thinking about it, but it's expensive and if I could avoid spending that money in the next year, I'd prefer to, and just do the BRP for now.
Also keep in mind that every year the fees have been surprisingly increasing.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

toolongawait
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by toolongawait » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:07 pm

seagul wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:00 pm
toolongawait wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:06 pm
Also keep in mind that every year the fees have been surprisingly increasing.
It's a good point, I agree, but unfortunately I don't have the £1400 to go for citizenship right this minute. I think it really has to be the BRP for me for the next 1-2 years.

Has it really been taking 6 months to convert ILR to BRP for people with uncomplicated applications online?

Singh_harv
India

Post by Singh_harv » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 pm

I don't think you need to transfer ILR to BRP as long as you keep your existing passport and new passport together when travelling

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:19 pm

Singh_harv wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 pm
I don't think you need to transfer ILR to BRP as long as you keep your existing passport and new passport together when travelling
To get a job and rent etc, you need a brp card now. ILR in an expired passport is no longer accepted, which is what the poster has already said. Travelling is different.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.