ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

On a visitor visa - popping to France for the day...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gollywood
Member of Standing

On a visitor visa - popping to France for the day...

Post by gollywood » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:06 am

Its a genuine query I have.

Ive read a few times on this forum about people coming to the UK on visitor visa (6 months) and then going to France for the day, and returning back to the UK.

That seems peferctly normal to me - but apparently, it may be used as a way to............................

And thats the bit I get confused at. Why would a visit for a day or 2 be considered 'suspicious'?

What are these day-trippers allegedly attempting?

I've got a decent grasp on most things discussed here - but not this one.

Appreciate your assisstance on this one!

waiting8
Newly Registered

Post by waiting8 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:16 am

Well don't you think they are going for a holiday to see the sites..

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 am

Well, it seems that they go to France for the 'sights' - but upon returning, things change....

And thats what I dont understand!

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:22 am

Don't know what you mean mate.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:49 pm

Do you mean coming on say a two/five/ten year multi entry visitor visa, leaving for France after six months and hopping back for another six straight after?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:58 pm

Wanderer wrote:Do you mean coming on say a two/five/ten year multi entry visitor visa, leaving for France after six months and hopping back for another six straight after?
Maybe Wanderer - that could be it.

So if someone comes to the UK on a multiple entry visa - stays here for 6 months, then goes to France, can they come back to the UK straight away for another 6 months?

How does that work?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:38 pm

gollywood wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Do you mean coming on say a two/five/ten year multi entry visitor visa, leaving for France after six months and hopping back for another six straight after?
Maybe Wanderer - that could be it.

So if someone comes to the UK on a multiple entry visa - stays here for 6 months, then goes to France, can they come back to the UK straight away for another 6 months?

How does that work?
In theory but the IO will doubt the veracity of a 'genuine visitor' if they are seemingly living here the bulk of a year.

The rule of thumb is 6 months in every 12 so really it's question of intent, risk and hoping you don't get stopped!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

waiting8
Newly Registered

Post by waiting8 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:11 am

You are only aloud to be in the UK 6 months of 1 year on a visitor visa.. If you do leave to france and come back a week later it is very hard for them to grant you another 6 months if you don't have any evidence eg: flight details of you returning your home country.. This is when they become suspecious and deport you straight away.. it happened to a friend of mine.
She isn't aloud back into the UK for 3 years