ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Medical test

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HSMP_India
Newly Registered

Medical test

Post by HSMP_India » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi,
I am planning to apply for Tier-1 visa very soon from India. Recently I was nt well and my doctor has suggested that this could be because of TB. I just wanted to know if I have picked-up TB recently, will it be an issue when I go for medical test or do I need to apply for tier-1 only after medication.

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:53 pm

Get a definite confirmation first. If your / doctor's suspicion is based on a positive Mantoux test, then you need not worry that much as yet. Almost all Indians carry the passive strain of TB virus and a positive Mantoux test is not a definite confirmation of active TB. So first things first - you need to get medical confirmation that you actually suffer from TB.

If it is confirmed, my personal suggestion is to get the TB treated first and then apply for Tier 1.

Usually, if you arrive in UK on a visa that's valid for more than 6 months, you are asked to produce a chest x-ray at the airport or get a chest x-ray done at the airport. Specially so, when it is your first visit to UK.

But if you have travelled to UK before, then you might not be asked ... but why take the risk of hiding a problem. Consequences then can be worse!.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:12 pm

May be this would give some information:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/chapte ... %20fifteen

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:29 am

Do remember that India has a high incidence of TB and Immigration Officers will be well within their right to refer you to a medical screening (chest x-ray) at the airport if you enter UK on a visa valid for more than 6 months.

regards

HSMP_India
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP_India » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:42 pm

Thanks for your reply. Currently I'm in UK since Jan'06 on WP and actually picked up TB here only. My visa expires in Aug'08. I have met my GP and he suspects it to be TB but couldn't confirm it. Just waiting for X-ray results and other test results.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:37 pm

Just FYI ...
Chapter 24 Medical Issues wrote:The Rules state that any person who intends to remain in the UK for more than 6 months should normally be referred for a medical examination (Paragraph 36). If the person declines, he or she can be refused (Paragraph 320(17)). Longstanding policy has been for the Immigration Officer to refer to the Port Medical Inspector on arrival anyone who mentions health or medical treatment as a reason for their visit, appears to be unwell or is seeking entry for more than 6 months and comes from a country with high incidence of TB. Additionally, an ECO has discretion to refer any other person for an examination if necessary (Paragraph 36). These are wide-ranging powers.
regards

HSMP_India
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP_India » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:04 pm

Thank you very much. This piece of info really helps me a lot.

HSMP_India
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP_India » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi,
One more query, If I apply for tier-1 from UK do I still need to go for medical test since my WP is getting extended for another 3 months. Please clarify.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:08 pm

HSMP_India wrote:Hi,
One more query, If I apply for tier-1 from UK do I still need to go for medical test since my WP is getting extended for another 3 months. Please clarify.
That means you wont be leaving UK at all - so you have no business with the Immigration officer.... cool

parthasarathy
Newly Registered

Post by parthasarathy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:06 am

Can someone pl explian how medical test and Tier 1 application are related.

There is no mention of taking medical test for Tier1 application??

sushdmehta wrote:Just FYI ...
Chapter 24 Medical Issues wrote:The Rules state that any person who intends to remain in the UK for more than 6 months should normally be referred for a medical examination (Paragraph 36). If the person declines, he or she can be refused (Paragraph 320(17)). Longstanding policy has been for the Immigration Officer to refer to the Port Medical Inspector on arrival anyone who mentions health or medical treatment as a reason for their visit, appears to be unwell or is seeking entry for more than 6 months and comes from a country with high incidence of TB. Additionally, an ECO has discretion to refer any other person for an examination if necessary (Paragraph 36). These are wide-ranging powers.
regards

junior

Post by junior » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 pm

medical test/condition has no bearing with Tier1 apps
It's a part of the UK immigration and border laws i.e when you enter UK for a period more than 6 months and since Tier1 is more than 6 months you have to abide by the border and entry laws of the UK
parthasarathy wrote:Can someone pl explian how medical test and Tier 1 application are related.

There is no mention of taking medical test for Tier1 application??

sushdmehta wrote:Just FYI ...
regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:49 pm

parthasarathy wrote:Can someone pl explian how medical test and Tier 1 application are related. There is no mention of taking medical test for Tier1 application??
Who said it is related?? Or did you assume things on your own without understanding what this discussion is all about??

:roll:
regards