ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP and visit to Switzerland - Help Please!!!!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

professional28
Newly Registered

HSMP and visit to Switzerland - Help Please!!!!

Post by professional28 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:46 pm

I've got an HSMP expiring in August 2009 and need to go to Switzerland for a couple of days on business with some work colleagues and clients. Do I need to apply for a visa, and if so, do I have to go to London (I live in Manchester). Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hexy
Newly Registered

Post by Hexy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:18 pm

I believe that you will need a schengen visa. Where to go for it, no clue.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:24 am

No, you won't need a Schengen visa because Switzerland is not in the Schengen area, although it is "likely to join at the beginning of 2009".

At this stage, people holding certain UK residence permits do not need a visa to enter Switzerland regardless of their nationality. This is explained on this page, which can be accessed from the page on the Swiss embassy website that discusses visa and entry regulations for people living in the UK.

Among the other UK residence permits that exempt the holder from needing a visa is a UK Entry Clearance issued for multiple entries, and I imagine your UK visa would be covered there.

However, if you do need a visa, these pages should also tell you how to go about applying for one.

There have been stories of airline staff not knowing these Swiss rules and wrongly denying boarding: if you're travelling for work, though, you're likely to be using a scheduled airline and so that problem is unlikely. It would be worth, however, taking print-outs of the relevant rules to check in.

(You can also check your nationality on the Swiss embassy website to see if you need a visa in any case.)

professional28
Newly Registered

Post by professional28 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Christophe,

Thank you very much for claryifying that and for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.