ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2nd Generation Immigration/Citizenship Questions

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shawn82
Newly Registered

2nd Generation Immigration/Citizenship Questions

Post by shawn82 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:49 pm

Hello...I think my prospects are slim or not applicable at all, but I will ask anyways. My grandmother is a Canadian Citizen by birth and resides in the USA currently. My mother was born on 1958 while my grandmother was still a Canadian Citizen. I know my mother had a period in 1977 and 2004 to claim her citizenship to Canada via birth to Canadian Parents. She had not done so. I know there is a new law in effect on April 2009 that will allow those to reclaim once again. I have read though it does not pass on to myself the 2nd generation born outside Canada, even though it is retrospective back to my mothers birth of 1958.

If my mother did go ahead and reclaim her citizenship via the new law and becomes a Citizen of Canada and USA, does this do anything for my prospects of moving to Canada. I think my only options are skilled worker PM route. I don't even think it would give me any points on adaptability being that my mother and grandmother are Canadian?

I appreciate anything anyone may have on this subject.

Thanks,
Shawn

markdrocker
Newly Registered

Re: 2nd Generation Immigration/Citizenship Questions

Post by markdrocker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:04 am

The new law gives your mother citizenship.

I don't think any of this helps you. It does not help your citizenship. It does not help your adaptability score unless your mother or grandmother or any relatives actually move to Canada.

If you can be considered a dependent child of your mother, she can agree to move to Canada and sponsor your permanent resident application (easier than the skilled worker path).

A son or daughter is dependent when the child:
* is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner
* is a full-time student and is substantially dependent on a parent for financial support since before the age of 22, or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner (if this happened before age 22) or
* is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ ... p#children

infocat13
Newly Registered

Re: 2nd Generation Immigration/Citizenship Questions

Post by infocat13 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:34 am

shawn82 wrote:Hello...I think my prospects are slim or not applicable at all, but I will ask anyways. My grandmother is a Canadian Citizen by birth and resides in the USA currently. My mother was born on 1958 while my grandmother was still a Canadian Citizen. I know my mother had a period in 1977 and 2004 to claim her citizenship to Canada via birth to Canadian Parents. She had not done so. I know there is a new law in effect on April 2009 that will allow those to reclaim once again. I have read though it does not pass on to myself the 2nd generation born outside Canada, even though it is retrospective back to my mothers birth of 1958.

If my mother did go ahead and reclaim her citizenship via the new law and becomes a Citizen of Canada and USA, does this do anything for my prospects of moving to Canada. I think my only options are skilled worker PM route. I don't even think it would give me any points on adaptability being that my mother and grandmother are Canadian?

I appreciate anything anyone may have on this subject.

Thanks,
Shawn

Where was your mother born?
The new citizenship law states the following.
anyone born in canada before 1947 who was in canada in 1947 becomes a citizen.
anyone born in canada after 1947 becomes a citizen.
anyone born to them in the first generation becomes a citizen.
the current law states that if your mother was a canadian " at the time of your birth" then you are as well.
I suspect the second poster is right but you should contact citizenship canada and apply to make sure.
I was born in 1958 to a canadian born mother who left canada BEFORE 1947 this may not be your case.
when and where your mother was born is important here..............

cheers
steven

baboonhead
Newly Registered

Citizenship

Post by baboonhead » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:14 am

Shawn, perhaps English is not your first language, I just want to point out that the phrase would be 'retroactive' to your mother's birth, not 'retrospective' which sounds somewhat comical.

As for your mother, she need not "claim" her citizenship, it is automatically given to her, but she will need to get a 'certificate of Canadian citizenship' and that may take a year or more.

If she chooses to use her citizenship and relocate to Canada, that does improve your chances of becoming a citizen yourself, you would need to apply for citizenship.

If your mother chooses to reside in the U.S. her Canadian citizenship will do nothing for you.