ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA PR application as direct descendant

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ahs7
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

EEA PR application as direct descendant

Post by ahs7 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:51 am

Hi all,

Hoping you can assist with a query I have relating to my PR application. I have searched far and wide for an answer and can't seem to get a final answer. The reason I am looking to apply for PR is so that I can apply for British citizenship. Long story short:

- I am a 27 year old EEA national who has lived in the UK for 14 years with my parents.
- I moved to the UK in 2005 thus acquiring my automatic 'permanent residence' in 2010.
- I went to school and university in the UK, and started working full-time 4 years ago.
- I was not aware of the CSI requirement for PR, therefore I cannot apply as a sole applicant.
- Hoping to apply as a direct relative as part of my dad's PR application, HOWEVER it seems that a child can only apply with a parent if they are: 1. under 21 years of age; OR 2. financially dependent on the parent - of which I am neither.

My question, therefore, is as follows: Can I still apply with my dad, since I was a dependant for 10 years, and that's when I automatically acquired my 'permanent resident' status? Essentially, had I applied before I started working full-time I would have qualified as a dependant, so since PR applications consider a five year period which is in the past, am I likely to get a positive outcome on that basis?

Many thanks in advance,

A

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: EEA PR application as direct descendant

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 pm

You are 27 years old and EEA national. Is this statement correct?

If it is, there is no reason to involve your father in the equation. On your own, you can go and apply through the settlement scheme.

ahs7
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ahs7 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:46 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 pm
You are 27 years old and EEA national. Is this statement correct?

If it is, there is no reason to involve your father in the equation. On your own, you can go and apply through the settlement scheme.
Hi Zerubbabel,

Thanks for your reply. With the Settlement Scheme, in order to apply for citizenship I would need to wait 12 months once I've been granted settled status. I was hoping to apply for citizenship ASAP for travel purposes, which would be possible if I had PR.

So my dilemma still stands, in that I can't apply for PR on my own, and I have a bit of a grey area with regards to applying as a direct family member. Hope someone on here can help.

Thanks,

A

ahs7
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ahs7 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:31 am

Please does anyone have any ideas or answers?

Kmoney1
United Kingdom

Post by Kmoney1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:51 pm

You are eligible for settled status on your own right and bear in mind as you are 27 years old you no longer dependent under your parent anymore..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:04 pm

Kmoney1 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:51 pm
You are eligible for settled status on your own right and bear in mind as you are 27 years old you no longer dependent under your parent anymore..
You have missed the OPs point and question. They wish to apply for citizenship asap and would prefer the PR route rather than Settled status, the latter meaning he has to wait 12 months whereas PR can be backdated.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.