ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA National AN Application Questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chrees
Newly Registered

EEA National AN Application Questions

Post by chrees » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Dear Forum Members,

I will be filling my AN for application shortly and I have a few questions on this.

First, to provide some background:
- I am an EU national, who first came to the UK in 2002
- I have held a Permanent Residence Status since 1 July 2009 (the card was issued on 2 July 2018 – I applied for it last year only. As the part of the application I have proved that I never lost the status.)
- I have also held the Settled Status since 7 February 2019

Now, in terms of my questions:

1. I would like to base my application on the September 2014 – September 2019 residence period. My total number of days absent from the UK in the period is 425, and only 20 in the final 12 months. The 5-year period breaks down into the following segments:
  • September 2014 – August 2015 – I spent most of my time travelling (business) outside of the UK. I would stay at hotels whenever I came back. This is when I accumulated the biggest chunk of my absences. Proof of residence: Hotel bills showing dates of my stays. Question: 1. How likely in your view is the caseworker to accept this period, despite the fact that I did not have a permanent home in the UK then? I could not find any legal basis on which my approach would be wrong (neither in the form nor in the booklet nor anywhere else).
  • September 2015 – March 2018 - Permanent employment. Proof of residence: Letter from employer
  • April 2018 – October 2018 – Not in employment. Proof of residence: various letters from government institutions (at least 1 per month; in most cases 2 or more). I could also provide bank statements for the whole period but I understand they can be of little use here. Questions: 1. Shall I be worried if I have no letters to cover 2 of these 7 months? 2. Can I use letters from Royal Mail here?
  • November 2018 – September 2019 – Permanent employment. Proof of residence: Letter from employer
2. Just to confirm – I was physically present in the UK 5 years (-1 day) before the application. Proof: hotel bill. Question: Do I need spend midnight in the UK for the day to qualify or does it not matter?

3. Is it ok to list my addresses over the last 4 years only, given the lack of permanent address in the September 2014 – September 2015 period?

4. In my application I will refer to the Permanent Residence Status. I guess the Settled Status is not relevant here, as I got it less than 12 months before the application date?

I am also planning on attaching a cover letter to set out my case clearly for the caseworker.

I would appreciate your help here.

Thank you,

chrees

chrees
Newly Registered

Re: EEA National AN Application Questions

Post by chrees » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi,

Could anyone help please?

Thank you,

chrees

chrees
Newly Registered

EEA Naturalisation - Long absence from UK

Post by chrees » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:33 am

Dear All,

I am an EEA national hoping to apply for naturalisation this Autumn. Let me ask a few questions

1. I had a long absence from the UK - approx. 340 days away. I visited UK 5 times during this time (always for 2 days) but as I did not keep the UK home then, I would always stay in a hotel:
- Does it matter that I did not have a UK address during this period?
- Should I simply list my overseas address on the form?
- BTW - All my absences form the UK on aggregate still fit within the 450 days requirement.

2. Does it matter that the long absence took place at the beginning of the 5 year period?

3. And just to confirm - yes, I will time my application to make sure was physically present on the day 5 years prior to submission.
- Does the day still count if I was in the UK only for a part of it?
- Does the part need to cover midnight for the day to count (I am looking at the tax rules)?

Thank you very much for your help in advance,

chrees