ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

One-way airline ticket to UK - EEA Family Permit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

serenita
Newly Registered

One-way airline ticket to UK - EEA Family Permit

Post by serenita » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on persuading an airline (in this case Virgin Atlantic) that an EEA Family Permit holder has the right to reside in the UK and therefore doesn't need a return or onward ticket?

Links to the relevant EU directive that I could print off maybe?

I asked the FP-issuing consulate if they could give me something in writing but they refused point blank, saying "the airline should know".

We could just buy a 5 quid ryanair ticket, I know, but it's the principle dammit!

thanks everyone,
serenita
[/b]

republique
BANNED

Re: One-way airline ticket to UK - EEA Family Permit

Post by republique » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:58 pm

serenita wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on persuading an airline (in this case Virgin Atlantic) that an EEA Family Permit holder has the right to reside in the UK and therefore doesn't need a return or onward ticket?

Links to the relevant EU directive that I could print off maybe?

I asked the FP-issuing consulate if they could give me something in writing but they refused point blank, saying "the airline should know".

We could just buy a 5 quid ryanair ticket, I know, but it's the principle dammit!

thanks everyone,
serenita
[/b]
So you are saying they won't let you buy a one way ticket??
Usually rt is cheaper anyway but if no joy ask for a supervisor

freedom83
Newly Registered

Post by freedom83 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:21 pm

I recently purchased a one way ticket for my husband to come to UK as he recently received his FP. He is not traveling with Virgin Atlantic, but different airlines.
That's ridiculous they refused to sell one way ticket! It is your choice any way if you want one way ticket or return one!
You should definitely complain about it to the airlines! It is just not fair!

darlinfe
Newly Registered

Post by darlinfe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:51 am

Odd, I had no problems purchasing a 1 way ticket with Aer Lingus. I flew from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles to Dublin and finally in Manchester!

I didn't think it was up to the airlines to make an immigration officer's decision. As far as I know the airline has to sell you the ticket. As long as the passenger has the proper ID/passport and visa, then it is fine.

Look into another airline unless of course you're using miles for a free ticket?

Hope this helps from personal experience! Good luck!
Fe

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:48 am

darlinfe wrote:Odd, I had no problems purchasing a 1 way ticket with Aer Lingus. I flew from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles to Dublin and finally in Manchester!

I didn't think it was up to the airlines to make an immigration officer's decision. As far as I know the airline has to sell you the ticket. As long as the passenger has the proper ID/passport and visa, then it is fine.

Look into another airline unless of course you're using miles for a free ticket?

Hope this helps from personal experience! Good luck!
Fe
The reason the airline gets involved is because it is their dime to fly back the person if immigration refuses them

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:25 pm

And lots of airlines either want to "play it very safe" or don't have a full understanding of the immigration laws and regulations of the countries that they fly to (or both).

it's only a problem for the airline if they have allowed a passenger to fly despite having inadequate documentation: the airline is not responsible for returning the passenger if the passenger is denied entry for some other reason.

darlinfe
Newly Registered

Post by darlinfe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Hello,

I understand that the airlines want to play it safe, however it's not really their responsbility. I just booked a ticket today to travel on holiday to visit family. Here is what the disclaimer said, and what I was trying to say earlier:

If your itinerary contains international flights, it is the sole responsibility of each passenger in the itinerary to have the proper documents for entry/re-entry into a country. To obtain documentation requirements, contact the embassy or consulate of all countries involved in your itinerary, including all countries in which you may be transiting. You can also contact your international carrier(s) for further information on documentation requirements, embargoes, travel advisories and/or additional requirements that may apply to the country or countries in your itinerary. Passengers will need to present Itinerary and Receipt (I & R) to an immigration officer upon request.

This passage is from American Airlines'.

Again, it is the sole responsibility of the passenger. Not the airlines.

Hope this helps!

Fe

vehipper
Newly Registered

one way ticket

Post by vehipper » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:49 pm

hie

surprise, surprise, my husband and i bought one ticket on the 25th of may to uk. i am on the eea family ticket, unless if things have changed. i was travelling from poland