ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Same employer & SOC. New job title. How do I extend?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

harbr526
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Same employer & SOC. New job title. How do I extend?

Post by harbr526 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:25 am

I recently started a new role within the organisation that sponsored me on a Tier 2 visa 1.5 years ago.

The new role is the same SOC and salary (and general tasks and responsibilities) as the role originally advertised for the RLMT and my visa application, but I have a new job title, job description and line manager.

I want to extend my visa when it expires but am worried about guidance on the gov.uk website that you must "have the same job as when you were issued your previous permission to enter or stay in the UK." (Emphasis mine)

I feel slightly stuck as the same webpage also makes it clear that I didn't need to apply for a new visa when I changed roles: "You will not need to make a new application if you’ll be staying with your current employer but your job will change in other ways, for example you want to change to a job in the same SOC code, or your pay will increase."

Is it possible to apply for an extension with a new job title considering my actual job has not changed substantially? Or does the job need to be subject to RLMT test again?

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

saliame
Pakistan

Re: Same employer & SOC. New job title. How do I extend?

Post by saliame » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 am

If the role is in same SOC, there shouldn't be any problem with different title.

harbr526
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re: Same employer & SOC. New job title. How do I extend?

Post by harbr526 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks. I've sifted through the policy guidance and have come to the same conclusion:

40.19 Where the migrant is already working for you and wish to extend their period of leave, for example, if their contract is extended, you must assign a new CoS
for the extended period. Under the Tier 2 and Tier 5 categories, the requirements for extension applications are that:

• the migrant has been assigned a CoS for their continued employment in another role within the same SOC code that was on their original CoS before making an application for an extension of stay and
• the job is still at the appropriate skill level.