ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EEA with Settled Status. Can i bring my mum to live with me?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gigtom
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Non EEA with Settled Status. Can i bring my mum to live with me?

Post by gigtom » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:34 am

i was wondering as i have my settled status in the uk if it was possible to get my mum over to live with me. i have heard i will have to prove that she is dependent on me, but i am confused as to whether this only applies to eea nationals.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Non EEA with Settled Status. Can i bring my mum to live with me?

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:06 am

gigtom wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:34 am
i was wondering as i have my settled status in the uk if it was possible to get my mum over to live with me. i have heard i will have to prove that she is dependent on me, but i am confused as to whether this only applies to eea nationals.

Thanks
It applies to all
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:17 am

gigtom wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:34 am

Thanks
As as a Non EU citizen, you cannot sponsor your mother. Only an EU citizen can and as you appear to be separated from your EU spouse, you might have some difficulty in proving your mother is dependent on your ex.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gigtom
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by gigtom » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:32 am

Many thanks for the swift response..it appears our non EU settled status does not carry as much weight as settled status of EU Nationals...shame

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:46 am

gigtom wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:32 am
it appears our non EU settled status does not carry as much weight as settled status of EU Nationals
The Settled Status is the same for both EEA and non-EEA citizens.

However, only EEA citizens, either with or without Settled Status, have the ability to sponsor family members under Appendix EU/Settlement Scheme.

You , on the other hand, have the same (much harder) ability to sponsor family members as a British citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.