ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation -- Outside the Normal Rules

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Joseph
Member of Standing

Naturalisation -- Outside the Normal Rules

Post by Joseph » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:16 pm

Board Members

Does anyone have any experience in applying for naturalisation before completing one year of ILR?

My non-British wife and I have been in the UK since November 1999 on a combination of WP and HSMP. We only received ILR in August 2004 (4.75 years) because of a period of unemployment while on HSMP. Although we have completed the 5 years, we are currently waiting because of the one-year ILR requirement. The questions is, do we really have to wait until August 2005 to apply? The one-year ILR rule is not rigid; there is room for discretion on the part of the caseworker according the the Nationality Instructions which are below:

7.4 Discretion to disregard immigration time restrictions in the final 12 months may normally be exercised if:

a. at the date of application, the applicant has had less than 12 months free of conditions but has been free of conditions for more than 12 months by the time the application is considered, provided the other requirements are met; or

b. a time limit was imposed inappropriately on return to the UK after a visit abroad, and the applicant subsequently demonstrates eligibility for returning resident status or entitlement to an exemption under s.8(2), 8(3) or 8(4) of the Immigration Act 1971, as amended by s.4 of the Immigration Act 1988 (see paragraph 9.1 below); or

c. the period of limited leave was less than 10 days at the beginning of the 12 month period before the date of application; or

d. the period of limited leave was between 10 and 90 days at the beginning of the 12 month period, if other statutory requirements, including the other residence requirements, are met and the applicant has demonstrated established links through the presence here of home, family and a substantial part of estate; or

e. the period of limited leave was more than 90 days at the beginning of the 12 month period, and the other statutory requirements, including the other residence requirements, are met, only if :

i. the applicant has established links with the UK through presence here of home, family and a substantial part of estate, and

ii. there are compelling business or compassionate reasons to justify granting the application now; or

f. the period of limited leave exceeded 10 days at the beginning of the 12 months period, and the other statutory requirements, including the other residence requirements, are not met, only in the most exceptional circumstances and if the criteria at e. above are met; or

g. consideration of an application for indefinite leave to remain, made more than 15 months before the citizenship application, had been protracted through no fault of the applicant, providing ILR was eventually granted; or

h. if the applicant is a nationals of an EEA country or is a Swiss national, we are satisfied that he or she was genuinely unaware of the need to satisfy this requirement.

It appears that we could apply up to 90 days without much problem before the August one-year ILR anniversary as we meet the requirements of 7.4(d). Furthermore, since most applications take at least 3 months to decide, paragraph 7.4(a) may apply anyway because the statutory requirement may be met by the time the decision is made. My objective in doing this is to try to get a decision a little earlier than if we waited until August.

Does anyone have any experience on this ?

Thanks
Joseph

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:38 am

Joseph, isn't the problem this? The extract from the manual you quote clearly uses the term "discretion". And what if the discretion is not exercised in your favour? That is, the application ends up being rejected. Expensive ...waste of money.

Is there a really compelling reason why the applications cannot wait until August? If not, why not just wait out the 12-month period?

On the first anniversary of the grant of ILR, you will meet the other rules? Not outside the UK more than 90 days in the one year before IND get the applications? Not outside the UK more than 450 days in the five years before IND get the applications? Physically in the UK exactly five years before IND receive the application?
John

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:19 am

John,
All of the other points (much less then 450/90 days outside the UK--about 90 days total over 5 years, being in country exactly 5 years before) would be met. I could also provide proof of home purchase, showing that most of our assets are in the UK and the fact thay our whole family has been here (items mentioned in paragraph d.)

You're right that they could reject the application, but I think that would be rather extreme. Or they could just put it aside in their normal work flow (average period is about 8 months) so that by the time it's considered the requirement would be met. There are lots of examples where discretion is exercised (the AN form has a special box for them). My question is whether this is one of them.
Joseph

guy
Newly Registered

Post by guy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:11 am

In December 2004 I applied for naturalisation with a request for discretion to disregard the 12 months of ILR requirement. I based my request on paragraph 7.4 g.
In January 2005 Home Office returned all the documents with an acknowledgement letter. My application is awaiting consideration....

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:43 pm

Joseph,

My 0.02 cents,

With all due respect an interpretation of 'substantial' in HO speak is risky to deduce. What you deem to be such is not excactly unusual

1. How many people have a house (or even multiple houses) in the UK?

2. How many people have been established here far longer than the 5 or so years you have been?

3. Add to 2 the issue of family - do you have any other members of such in the UK other than say your kids e.g. parents, grandparents, siblings who by extent/ for consideration would need to be settled in the UK?

4. Further to 2 is the issue of business - has your firm established a significance presence in the UK and does it have a sizeable (multi-million GBP) contribution to te exchequer or indirectly to society through the provision of direct employment to a significant number of personnel (100+)?

IMHO sit out the relevant post ILR waiting period and submit a straightforward application - going for discretion tends to have a file sitting in a '2nd queue' where a more experienced caseworker will review it..this may or not be to your advantage. Nevertheless its your call - I suppose you won't know till you try.

Good Luck

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:31 am

Kayalami, Guy and John,
Thanks for all of your feedback. Kayalami has summed it up perfectly; applying early runs the risk of slowing down the process. John's example is a different (I think more deserving) category than mine, but which in any case still needs to be decided.

I agree that a better approach is for me to keep a "low profile" and apply totally within the rules, which with a little luck could result in a quick decision.

Joseph

guy
Newly Registered

Post by guy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:59 am

guy wrote:In December 2004 I applied for naturalisation with a request for discretion to disregard the 12 months of ILR requirement. I based my request on paragraph 7.4 g.
In January 2005 Home Office returned all the documents with an acknowledgement letter. My application is awaiting consideration....
This morning I received a letter from Home Office returning the certified photocopy of my current passport and asking for Home Office ILR letter and expired passport to cover a specific period to be resubmitted by the end of this month. so I hope it will not be long before a decision is made.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:16 am

Guy, that sounds promising, looks like the discretion has been exercised in your favour.

I can't think they would now be asking for the supporting documentation you failed to send earlier, if they had not exercised their discretion in your favour.

Hope you get approved soon.
John

guy
Newly Registered

Post by guy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:36 am

John wrote:
I can't think they would now be asking for the supporting documentation you failed to send earlier.
I did send these documents with my application and HO returned them with an acknowledgement letter. They just asked for them to be resubmitted.

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:02 am

It looks like they want to see if there is any travel since December to be included since December. They are probably revising the 5 year period to start and end a few months later than December.

I agree that it looks promising and that you should be getting a positive decision soon. Hopefully you don't have travel over the last two months that will take you over the limit. I still think that your case is different than mine because your ILR approval was delayed through no fault of your own.

Joseph

nyrnu
Newly Registered

Post by nyrnu » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:00 pm

guy wrote:
guy wrote:In December 2004 I applied for naturalisation with a request for discretion to disregard the 12 months of ILR requirement. I based my request on paragraph 7.4 g.
This morning I received a letter from Home Office returning the certified photocopy of my current passport and asking for Home Office ILR letter and expired passport to cover a specific period to be resubmitted by the end of this month. so I hope it will not be long before a decision is made.
Hi,
How long is it from the date granted ILR to the date you submitted naturalisation application? 6months, 10 months...?

just want to know is there any invisible minimum residence requirement even you ask HO to disregard the 12-month ILR rules?

Thanks

guy
Newly Registered

Post by guy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:36 pm

nyrnu wrote:
Hi,
How long is it from the date granted ILR to the date you submitted naturalisation application? 6months, 10 months...?
8 months
I knew I had a strong case for discretion when I was granted ILR but I was advised to complete the 12 months and make a straight forward application and I accepted that. However, after 8 months I lost patience and decided to go ahead with my application come what may, all I had to loose was the £218 fee and now it seems that I made the right call.....I hope :)

nyrnu
Newly Registered

Post by nyrnu » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:29 pm

guy wrote:
nyrnu wrote:
Hi,
8 months
I knew I had a strong case for discretion when I was granted ILR but I was advised to complete the 12 months and make a straight forward application and I accepted that. However, after 8 months I lost patience and decided to go ahead with my application come what may, all I had to loose was the £218 fee and now it seems that I made the right call.....I hope :)
Thanks for reply.
I am wondering are there many ILR holders to do so? submitted naturalisation application only by holding ILR for several months (under 12 months).

Theoretically, people can do so with no problem because right now the average queuing time for naturalisation is 6-month or even longer. If you only hold ILR for 8-month then submit naturalisation application, it is not difficulty to meet 7.4a condition-- i.e. at the time your application is being reviewed and considered, it already pass 12-month condition. The bottom line is if the case is being rejected (by the time you receive decision it probably has pass 12-month since granted ILR) and you just need to re-submit application again.

If money is not a cocern issue, its hard to say which way will be quicker- hold ILR 12 month then submit naturalisation application, or submit it in seventh, eightieth, or ninth month of ILR.

But I think at least people should hold ILR for at least 6-month (even he want to submit an application under 12-month) unless he can provide strong reason/document.

Anyway, thanks for experience sharing.

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:30 pm

Guy,
Just wondering, how many months was your ILR approval delayed (your basis for paragraph g)?
Joseph

guy
Newly Registered

Post by guy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:00 am

Joseph wrote:Guy,
Just wondering, how many months was your ILR approval delayed (your basis for paragraph g)?
Joseph
My ILR application was made 31 months before the naturalisation application and was protracted for 23 months. The application was refused and went on to appeal. ILR was eventually granted under Article 8.

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:25 am

Guy
Thanks. It looks like you had a good reason to apply under paragraph g.
Joseph

guy
Newly Registered

Post by guy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:05 am

My citizenship application has been successful and before completion of 12 months of ILR. :D :D

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:10 am

Congratulations Guy ... enjoy your Citizenship Ceremony!
John

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:07 pm

I wonder if any more people have applied under 7.4 "Discretion to disregard immigration time restrictions in the final 12 months" recently ...

Please share your experience if you have...

Thanks