ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which workers permit do I, as a Candian citizen, need?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

michaelscott73
Newly Registered

Which workers permit do I, as a Candian citizen, need?

Post by michaelscott73 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:47 am

I am a Canadian citizen. I have worked in the oilfields for 6 years, with the same ciompany. I do not have a degree as I am a roughneck. The states are in dire need of workers in my field.

Which workers permit do I need in order to be able to work in the USA legally? People have respoinded with NAFTA..however, I do not have a degree...maybe I am missing something as all the reading is quite confusing. I have obtained my passport so that I may conduxt interviews in person.

I have alos been told I will need a H1B but can take up to 1 year to obtain. Or a TN1 which is easier to get. I am trying to do the right, legal thing in order to advance myself but am a bit confused with all the new terminology.

Someone also suggested to find a compnay whihc is incorporatedoutside the US and apply for that company, which then a L1Visa could be petitioned.

I just need the knowledge and wisdom on the workers permit which would best pertain to me. I would like to start working in the USA ASAP. I am a newbie so forgiveme for my frustration but I have been reading and reading for hours.

Thank you for your time

oldmedic
Newly Registered

Post by oldmedic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 am

Too bad you are not 50% or more Canadian Indian. They require no work permits or visas at all. They just have to prove that they are Indians, and under the provision of the Jay Treaty, they are allowed to freely enter the US. (The Jay Treaty ended the American Revolution.) They are im granted a Social Security card, and can work anywhere at all.

Canada unfortunately does NOT honor the Jay Treaty, and will not allow their own Indians or American Indians the privelges allowed under that treaty.

michaelscott73
Newly Registered

Post by michaelscott73 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:08 pm

oldmedic wrote:Too bad you are not 50% or more Canadian Indian. They require no work permits or visas at all. They just have to prove that they are Indians, and under the provision of the Jay Treaty, they are allowed to freely enter the US. (The Jay Treaty ended the American Revolution.) They are im granted a Social Security card, and can work anywhere at all.

Canada unfortunately does NOT honor the Jay Treaty, and will not allow their own Indians or American Indians the privelges allowed under that treaty.
How does this help me?

oldmedic
Newly Registered

Post by oldmedic » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:25 pm

If you are an Indian, it helps you. If you are not, then as I said, it is too bad you are not, because then you would NOT need a permit at all.

You may want to contact some American companies, and see if they need you. If they do, then you can get a permit.