ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch to TIER 2 visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kishansm
Newly Registered
India

Switch to TIER 2 visa

Post by kishansm » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:13 pm

Hello,

I am final year PhD student currently on TIER 4 visa. My TIER 4 expires in January 2020. Recently, I got postdoc offer from the same place where I am currently studying. In July 2019, I applied for the TIER 2 visa (switch from TIER 4 to TIER 2). At the time of the document submission, I was given my passport and current BRP back and was told that I will receive the decision letter plus new BRP card within 8 weeks.
Now, it has been 7 weeks, I haven't heard anything from the home office.
Next week, I have to go to Germany to present my PhD work at a prestigious conference in my field.
The question is: Do I have to wait till I get the decision letter (and new BRP) or can I go with my current BRP which expires in January 2020?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Kishan

pintokhan17
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: Switch to TIER 2 visa

Post by pintokhan17 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:32 pm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules

34K. Where proof of identity provided under paragraph 34(5) has been returned to the applicant pending a decision on their application for leave to remain and the applicant travels outside the common travel area their application for leave to remain shall, provided that it has not been determined, be treated as withdrawn on the date that the applicant left the common travel area.
If you leave the UK, your application will be treated as withdrawn. You might still be able to enter the UK on current BRP since it's valid till Jan2020, but you would have to apply again to switch to Tier2 and pay the fees again.

That's my limited understanding, just thought I'd help out till a moderator/admin can answer.

kishansm
Newly Registered
India

Re: Switch to TIER 2 visa

Post by kishansm » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:45 pm

Thank you so very much for your reply.

Is there any way we can write to the UK home office (any email address or any contact)?
The only way to contact the ukvi is through telephone and it is not really helpful.
https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside- ... extensions

Thanks again.