ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

urgent

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nida kashif
Newly Registered

urgent

Post by nida kashif » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:11 pm

I came to uk as work permit dependant in 18/01/2004 &have 2 ½ year old daughter who born here my marriage broke down due to domestic violence in 18/02/ 2008 my husband granted indefinite at 4/02/2008.he didn’t applied for us. .expiry date of my visa was 20/02/2008 so I went to lawyer he advised me to made set dv application which refused by home office then my lawyer appeal against that after rejecting court they appeal against the court decision my husband want to contact orders for my daughter I am working part time, start studying & living with my family without depending on anyone .
Now my lawyer said that we’ll go to high court I am not satisfied with the quality of advice given by him I am don’t want to go back home scared of threats of in-laws &my own family please help me that can I make fresh application if yes then on what bases? go to high court, or apply for asylum but do I have chances to get that? Also if you know any good lawyer who can help me with that.
Cheers.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 pm

If your daughter was born in the UK and one of her parents has obtained ILR, you can register her as a British citizen....have you already done this? It might also help your case.

nida kashif
Newly Registered

how can i register?

Post by nida kashif » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 pm

sakura wrote:If your daughter was born in the UK and one of her parents has obtained ILR, you can register her as a British citizen....have you already done this? It might also help your case.

thankxxx alot for your help, my daughter born in UK but i didn't register her as a british citizen once i asked my lawyer about that he said its not possible because her father didn't apply for her ILR & she is not 7years old yet my lawyer will not tell me if i ask him so could you please tell me how can i register her for citizenship?

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:08 am

Nida,
If a child was born in the UK and one of the parents gains ILR afterwards, then the child can be registered for british nationality.
You can download the form from the HO site; the problem you may face is that you need to prove that your husband got ILR.....clearly your lawyer is not providing good advise....
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

nida kashif
Newly Registered

Post by nida kashif » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:13 am

[quote="try-one"]Nida,
If a child was born in the UK and one of the parents gains ILR afterwards, then the child can be registered for british nationality.
You can download the form from the HO site; the problem you may face is that you need to prove that your husband got ILR.....clearly your lawyer is not providing good advise....[/quot

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:43 am

try-one wrote:Nida,
.....clearly your lawyer is not providing good advise....
The question I ask myself lately is how these "lawyers" are allowed to practice when even in simple matters they give wrong advice. I think that after a couple of months the average user of this forum is more knowledgeable than some of these so-called immigration lawyers. And to think that they charge high fees for their advice.
Do not live your life in fear.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:25 am

From as far as I remember, all the solicitors in immigration law I was dealing with in the UK were totally useless and lacking in elementary knowledge of the law. They even did not deny it - I was confronting them with this upfront.
Only those not doing Legal Aid and charging something like 500 GBP per hour (back in 2002-2003) appeared to have some useful knowledge and experience.
But still, my situation was not resolved until I actually took all the matters into my hands, read and understood the rules, policies, case law and started dealing with BA myself. Furthermore, there are always bounderies, within which the solicitors can act. If you do it yourself, you have almost unlimited range of opportunities. However, first you have to understand the law and all the concessions and policies. If you do not qualify under the rules and no concessions and policies apply, you cannot succeed.