ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP --> Tier1 (What happens to dependants in UK)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maybe
Newly Registered

WP --> Tier1 (What happens to dependants in UK)

Post by maybe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi,

I am in UK on work permit (sponsored by my company) along with my dependants (They are also in UK).

Can I apply for Tier1 visa just for myself?

What will happen to the dependants in that case?

Somebody told me that if I apply for Tier1 visa just for myself, my dependants will have to leave UK before the date of application. Is that correct?

Thanks,

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:08 pm

Though there was no consensus at the end of it, but reading this discussion might be useful.

Best to check with UKBA directly.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

maybe
Newly Registered

Post by maybe » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:24 am

Hi,

Can I apply Tier1 visa just for myself and my wife. (excluding my kid)?

I do understand that even if we get Tier1 visa, my wife would have to take my kid back to India because my kid would not be having Tier1 dependant visa.
[For some reason I cannot wait for a few months and need my HSMP asap.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason I am planning to do this is that currently I have funds to show only for myself and one dependant. (ie. 800 + 1600)

if I apply for my wife along with me, then later I will just have to apply Tier1 dependent visa for my kid, which would mean that I will have to show only (800+1600) of minimum funds at that time.

otherwise, if I apply just for myself now and later apply for both my wife and kid, then I will again have to show a minimum of (800+1600+1600) funds. Also, I will have to pay additional fee of (£395 * 2)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming back to my original question: If I am on work permit in UK with my dependants (wife and kid), then legally, can I apply Tier1 visa just for myself and my wife?

Please help.

Thanks,

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:18 pm

maybe wrote:Hi,
Can I apply Tier1 visa just for myself and my wife. (excluding my kid)?
Thanks,
In my opinion, your child's WP dependent visa will be invalid and he will be technically "overstaying" in the UK. (Please note that I am not sure about this, please check with UKBA by emailing them for a definitive reply.
maybe wrote:if I apply for my wife along with me, then later I will just have to apply Tier1 dependent visa for my kid, which would mean that I will have to show only (800+1600) of minimum funds at that time.
Please note this minor point: You cannot show the same funds(which you used for your and your wife's maintenance fund in prior Tier 1 application) AGAIN as maintenance fund for your child. This means that once you show GBP 800 + 1600 for you and your wife, then you cannot use the same money for your child, you will need separate 1600 GBP as child's maintenance fund.

maybe
Newly Registered

Post by maybe » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi,

So, do you mean that my kid will have to leave UK at the time of application itself OR can he stay in UK till the time I get my Tier1 visa?

Thanks,