ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Entry port Experiance

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Alishah

UK Entry port Experiance

Post by Alishah » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:38 pm

I have searched; could not find any thread which contain detailed UK entry port experiance. Although there were few examples but they are scatered.

This will help; new comers who are about to arrive, to learn from others experiance.

You all are encoraged to write down as many as possible detail you can write to help others.

Thanks
Knowledge speaks and wisdom listen

Alishah

My Experiance

Post by Alishah » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:52 am

When I leave Karachi Airport following were my observations.

At Karachi Airport.
1. Airline staff are very concern about the bagage you are taking, it has to be within load limit, 20 KG for bagage and 8 KG for hand bagage. Or other wise spacified on ticket.

2. (Important one) Immigration officer was asking me for Protector of Immigration stemp? if you are going out of coutry on work permit visa you need to have protector of immigration stemp on your passport. I knew there are few exceptions in which they dont ask, but you know the system here. I got this over becauce I had two visas one workpermit and another one was five year visit multi.

At London Heathrow Airport.
3. Embercation form filled and prepared during landing to avoid que and there is not enough space to sit and remove ur documents and write.

4. Immigration staff are very much concern about all your original documents, make sure they are in your hand lagage.

5. Specialy they ask about your TB test certificate and mostly wanted to see, make sure that is available with you.

6. Dont bring any tin pack food stuff, law has changed and they are not allowed, you are lucky if you are not screened.

Important;
Make sure someone is there to pick you, if you dont have any relatives and has booked the hotel accomodation, it is worth to ask then airport pickup, taxi and other transport from air port is not cheap. Yes if you have often visit UK and knew the under/over ground transport system then your case if diffrent.

Well come to UK.

UKBAbble

Re: UK Entry port Experiance

Post by UKBAbble » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:26 pm

Alishah wrote:I have searched; could not find any thread which contain detailed UK entry port experiance. Although there were few examples but they are scatered.

This will help; new comers who are about to arrive, to learn from others experiance.

You all are encoraged to write down as many as possible detail you can write to help others.

Thanks
Make sure that you have the address you're staying at and that someone is meeting you or you have their telehone number. Answer all the immigration officer's questions honestly.

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:10 pm

In my case, immigration officer didn't ask for anything except Passport and Tier1 visa. No X-ray, TB certificate, accomodation proof or job offer was required.

I had seamless immigration check probably because I had travelled from EU country, I had been living there for a year and my Tier1 was issued there too.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:40 pm

T1_Mainframe wrote:In my case, immigration officer didn't ask for anything except Passport and Tier1 visa. No X-ray, TB certificate, accomodation proof or job offer was required.

I had seamless immigration check probably because I had travelled from EU country, I had been living there for a year and my Tier1 was issued there too.
I'm sure you're right.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:12 pm

Here is one, sorry about the long read. Link is posted below the story.

Passport Control at Heathrow
This campaign update was written by an Action Network user not the BBC

Created: 16 Jun 2005 | Updated: 16 Jun 2005

By Kathleen Whalen

"On May 11th, I planned to visit my boyfriend in Newcastle. I flew from JFK airport in New York and had to change terminals at Heathrow to catch a connecting flight. I had already missed my intended flight, and I was very nervous while I was waiting in the passport control line in Terminal 1 because this was the first time I had ever traveled outside the U.S.
When it was finally my turn to approach one of the kiosks. I handed the woman my passport my ticket to Newcastle. I had intended to stay in the U.K. for 6 months, because on all the websites about visiting the U.K. it had said that I could visit for 6 months, and I was under the impression that as long as I had the address and phone number of where I was staying, and a return ticket. I'm only 20 years old, and like I said, this was my first time out of the country. The reason I had decided to stay for so long, was because my boyfriend and his mother had agreed to support me while we waited for his work visa to be approved, so we could both move to LA and I could figure out what I wanted to do with my education. And seeing, as how I don't have many responsibilities yet, it seemed like a good time for an academic break.
I told the officer I was visiting a friend and his mother, and she began to ask me increasingly invasive questions. Feeling uncomfortable I answered briefly, as I was not accustomed to being asked such intrusive questions such as who was paying for my education and so on.
I told her that my parents would be supporting me during my trip, and that they also paid for my education, as I'm living with my mother in California. The reason I had left from JFK was because I was visiting family in Pennsylvania, and the ticket to Newcastle was cheaper from New York, and shorter.
She asked me more questions about my schooling and my job situation. I told her I was a full time student and I work temporary jobs, which I had just quit since I was leaving for so long, but I was still enrolled at my college as a full time student. I had also been awarded a California grant for the next school year, and I would have to be enrolled by Spring semester in order to recieve it. At this point, it became clear to me that the officer had no idea about the differences in English and American culture because she asked me if I had ever been to university. I told her they were the same thing, thinking it odd that she did not know that.
She then asked me for the number for my boyfriend and his mother. I gave it to her and she said she would call them because "this didn't sound right".
I sat down in a chair nearby wondering what I had done wrong and why I was being treated like I was a criminal.
She came back 20 minutes later only to tell me that I had been deceptive by saying my boyfriend was a friend, rather than a boyfriend and that she would be making further enquiries, but she would have to work on the passport control line first before she dealt with me. I was once again pushed aside and forced to wait. Since I have never had to deal with this before, I became frightened and had no idea what was in store for me next.
The officer had someone take me to the baggage claim, where of course my bag was not there, since it had been checked through to Newcastle. I was taken into a large room where a woman patted me down and my photo was taken. I was obviously upset as I was no longer able to control the tears which now freely flowed down my face. The people working there were very nice and tried to calm me down.
I waited here, without any idea what was going on and why I was being detained for saying I was visiting a friend. I wasn't aware I was supposed to divulge all my personal information, which I'm ure most people would feel uncomfortable about telling a complete stranger.
I was detained for about 3 hours before the immigration officer came back to ask me more questions. I was physically and emotionally exhausted at this point. It had been three months since I had seen my boyfriend, and I was less than an hour away from him. The officer did not make any phone calls to anyone to verify any information I provided. She had told my boyfriend's mother that she would call her back after the initial phone call, but she never did.
After the officer repeated the questions she had asked before, she told me she would talk to her supervisor but he probably would not stamp my passport, because I had been deceptive. Rather than trying to give me the chance to verify any of my information, she decided that I had lied because I said "friend" not "boyfriend". Every person I have said this to hereafter has the same reaction I do, "the difference is?".
The immigration officer told me to calm down because at this point I was on the verge of becoming sick. I waited another 2 hours before a man brought in one of my pieces of luggage(the one without any of my clothes in it) and asked me if it was mine. I told him yes, but I had anohter suitcase. I then asked him if that meant they had decided to deport me, he said he didn't know. I was able to get in touch with my boyfriend, who had been waiting at the airport for 3 hours, waiting expectantly for my arrival. I had him contact my mother for me so they she could contact my dad or sister, who were still at work, so they could pick me up in the event that I was deported. My boyfriend and his mother made every attempt to talk to immigration and have this resolved. She told them where they could send their documents, but what she failed to mention was that in 15 minutes she would be leaving, thus making it impossible for the decision to me over turned, even though the immigration officers they talked to after that were far more sympathetic. She told my boyfriend that she believed I would try to stay illegally and "get lost in the system", which first of all would be an error on their part, secondly I gave them a permanent address where I would be staying, which if I did attempt to stay would result in my arrest and deportation and also my boyfriend and his mother would be arrested. Why would anyone, especially a person who was from the U.S., was dressed nicely and obviously not someone who did not have money, risk something like that?
Shortly before the officer was to leave for the day, obviously intent on being rid of me as soon as possible, she gave me a form showing she had booked me on a flight leaving in three hours time, and a letter saying why she was not granting me leave to enter:
"You have asked for leave to enter the United Kingdom as a visitor for six months but I am not satisfied that you are genuinely seeking entry as a visitor for the limited period as stated by you because you have practised deception at the immigration control regarding your relationship to [boyfriend]. You lack sufficient funds for your proposed trip and you have provided no evidence that you have access to additional funds. Furthermore I am not satisfied that you intend on returning to the United States of America."
If she had bothered to call anyone that I had told her I was recieving support from, or even bothered to stay long enough to look at the documents my supporters were sending, then she would have seen that I did infact have the support needed. I also realized that I had the award letter for my grant in my suitcase that was missing, and when I asked to see it, they told me I could not get into because there wouldn't be enough time before I had to leave. I asked the officer why I had been forced to wait 6 hours with no idea about what was going on, and she told me that she had to deal with the passport control line before she dealt with me. I then asked if I could go to my embassy, she refused and would not give me contact information either. I asked her if I could have a lawyer, or if I had any rights at all for that matter. She said no and that I could appeal when I returned to the U.S., however she did not supply me with any information about appealing the decision. At the moment I am still having trouble finding anything about appealing it on my own.
Since no one had contacted my family about my situation, there was no one there to pick me up at the airport. At this point I had been up for 72 hours and was alone in New York, with my bag with all my clothes still missing. It turns out, they had never even retagged the bag, so they had no idea where it was, I finally got it a week later, but the suitcase (which was brand new) had been completely destroyed. Zippers where torn off everywhere, the handle was crushed, and the seem at the top was ripped open corner to corner. My belongings had been searched and haphazardly thrown back in, there wasn't even a not to sya it had been searched.
To make matters worse, since I was missing a bag and there was no one nearby to pick me up (my family is about 2 hours from the airport), my sister told me to get to Pennstation and take the rain to Trenton. After over an hour long bus ride, I arrived at the station to find the bridge had burned and no trains were coming or going, which from what I've heard never happens. I was told to take the subway a couple blocks down to Newark and take a train from there to Trenton. One of the wheels on the suitcase I had had broken off and the thing was very heavy, only adding to my exhaustion. I got on the subway train when my dad called me, yelling at me not to go to Newark since it was late at night and it was dangerous. He convinced me to walk all the way back to Pennstation and stay at the hotel and take a train in the morning. I barely made it to the hotel without colapsing. I waited in line, got a tiny room which was not worth the rate they were charging and called my family and my boyfriend and cried until I passed out. I was staying on the 13th floor and the next morning was Friday the 13th.
I got a train in the morning and finally met up with my sister who tried to cheer me up by taking me shopping.
Recently, I applied for a visitor's visa. I got a letter back from them today which says they refused it. I don't understand since I gave them more than what they asked for. A letter from myself explaining my situation, letter from my dad saying he can support me and that I am coming back, letter from his employer showing he is employed(he didn't feel comfortable providing bankstatements of pay slips), letter from my boyfriends mother saying she can support me and that I am staying with her to visit my boyfriend for a period no longer than 6 months, bankstatements from her, proof of my enrollment in school, and a planned itinerary. The reasons they gave for refusing my visa look as if they didn't even bother to look at my documents, but instead just looked at my what the immigration officer had to say about me:
"You were previously refused entry at Heathrow Airport on 12/5/05 when you failed to satisfy the immigration officer that you were genuinely seeking entry as a visitor for the limited period as stated by you. At that time you proposed to enter the UK for a period of six months to visit a friend, [boyfriend's name], and his mother.
You stated that [boyfriend's name] was a friend and nothing more. However, by your own admission you later stated [boyfriend's name] was your boyfriend. You informed the Immigration Officer that you had missed your final exam at University and had no intentions of returning to finish the course. You also stated that you had quit your temporary job. You stated that you have $500.00 available to you. However, you have not submitted any evidence of this. I note that you have submitted a letter from Los Rios Community College showing that you have enrolled for the Autumn. Hoever, I am not satisfied this is not to facillitate your entry to the UK.
In view of the above, I am not satisfied, on the balance of probabilities that it is your intention to leave t [sic] the UK at the end of your proposed stay"
First of all, I never said I had no intentions of returning to finish my course. I was very clear to the officer that I was on academic break, and that at the time I decided to return by Spring semester so that I could recieve my grant money. I decided to enroll for Fall semester, because this whole ordeal has cost me quite a bit of money, so I need it. The reason I didn't provide bank statements is because I don't have any. I am staying with my sister (which I stated) and the visa page clearly states that if you are being sponsored that you send their bank statements as proof.
I don't understand why this has happened. I don't have a criminal record. I'm only 20 years old, and I didn't realize the UK had to protect itself from single 20 year old women. The officer told me the reason she stopped me was because I said I would stay for 6 months, and that is usually a warning sign for them. Then why do they say that the maximum amount of time you can stay is 6 months? It doesn't make any sense to me. I have a feeling the officer I had was prejudice against Americans because when I told her I had no intention of staying longer, she said that she had listened to other Americans in my position. What do other Americans have to do with me? I am completely seperate from them and they from me, isn't it wrong to base a decision off of other people? She never even told me her name, I only know it now because my boyfriend specifically asked her on the phone. My mother even called immigration and told them to tell me I could call her collect if I needed to, a message which was never given to me. At this point I am at a complete loss for what to do.
I feel like I've done something horribly wrong and nobody seems to want to listen to what I have to say about it.
At the moment, since we just found out my visiting the UK is out of the question no matter what, we are looking into hiring a lawyer and trying to apply for a fiance visa, as we still have no idea when his work visa will go through. I'm at a loss. This whole thing makes no sense to anyone I talk to about it. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio4/F1764 ... ead=658480

republique
BANNED

Re: UK Entry port Experiance

Post by republique » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 pm

Alishah wrote:I have searched; could not find any thread which contain detailed UK entry port experiance. Although there were few examples but they are scatered.

Thanks
All i can tell you of my experience is that if they have made up their mind, then you have uphill battle. I once came through with a passport with so many stamps that I have additional pages due to running out of room on the original pages. The officer immediately decided I am a fluzy and not supporting myself. Why are you here? To visit a friend. To visit your boyfriend? I could see where she was headed and I immediately said NO not to visit my boyfriend. Then she asked how are you paying for this trip and supporting yourself? Which I replied I work and I have significant savings. At this point, she had managed to go through more pages on my passport and see my age because I look younger than I am. She continued with a couple more intrusive followup questions to see if she can trip me up even though I can sense in her voice that the air had blown out of her sails. However, I kept a slightly annoyed exasperated tone to my voice. I don't recommend this but sometimes it works depending on the situation and since she seemed to realize I am not what she presumed it was over and I was through.
It is a hit or miss as to when they are going to focus on you so you have to be prepared for just in case they do. And cultural terms can trip you up such as college vs university. So do be sure to stress to the immigration officer even if you are an anglophone that you are happy to answer their question so that they can make a fair determination but you that do hope cultural usage differences of words does not impact that determination. This will put them off balance a bit and probably tip in your favour any doubts they may have and it gives you a momen to compose yourself for the barrage of questions that might come next. Of course they might think well eh this is unexpected, never mind and you could be just waved through to avoid any hard deliberations on their part

whirly

Post by whirly » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:54 pm

I was nearly turned away on my first visit to the UK in 1998. Long story short, I was naïve…and lucky.

• I had a work permit from Japan that was still valid (expiring the following month)
• I didn’t have a return ticket, just a vague plan to stay ‘around 2 months, no longer than 3 months’
• I hadn’t brought any bank statements with me. I had £100 cash and a credit card. I also had quite a full bank account, but I couldn’t prove it.
• I fell into the American/British English difference trap: I didn’t know why the IO was asking if I had brought a ‘CV’ with me. Once I figured out he meant ‘resume’, I told him I was not intending to look for work. Again, I couldn’t prove it (and the Japanese work permit wasn’t helping my case.)
• I was planning to stay with friends, but had no letters of sponsorship or support from them – it had never occurred to me that I might need them.
• I honestly didn’t believe that he could, or would, send me back on the next plane to Japan. I really thought he was kidding when he said it. :!:

Given all this, it’s no wonder he wanted to turn me back. In the end, my parents saved me. I mentioned that my family was visiting London and we were all meeting for a few days. I was planning to stay with them at a swish hotel in Kensington before the rest of my trip with friends. He asked if they would give me money if I needed it, and when I said yes, he stamped my passport. (I’m sure the hotel address helped reassure him.) Now I know how lucky I was, but it doesn’t surprise me that so many Americans feel entitled to free entry to the UK. I had never had problems travelling around Europe or Asia; why would a ‘friendly’ country like the UK be hard to enter? Regardless, I was much more careful on subsequent visits to the UK. Even entering with a visa (student, spouse, ILR) has never been met with a smile.

Alishah

Post by Alishah » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Well Guys.
This thread is to share different entry experience to help new comers and give them an opportunity to plan their journey, the reason I put all the information was to let them know what it is all about.

I have come to UK five times, but least visit was for Immigration purpose, I have been travelled to USA and 22 other countries. But what comes around goes around.

Keep continue and help others.

Bye

Alishah

Post by Alishah » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:51 pm

For God sake. Keep your story short and concise. It was enough if you would have past link to the actual story and some short detail of what has happened.

I hope you won’t mind

Bye

_dubble_trubble
Newly Registered

Post by _dubble_trubble » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:58 pm

Our Home Office fellas doing a brilliant job

Just because someones 'American' and has a rich dad - does not mean Britains an access all areas for them

Thanks to all you guys at UKBA for all your hard work and commitment to the cause.

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:01 pm

_dubble_trubble wrote:Our Home Office fellas doing a brilliant job

Just because someones 'American' and has a rich dad - does not mean Britains an access all areas for them

Thanks to all you guys at UKBA for all your hard work and commitment to the cause.

That is a very funny post! :P :P :D

whirly

Post by whirly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:35 am

For God sake. Keep your story short and concise. It was enough if you would have past link to the actual story and some short detail of what has happened.
This thread is to share different entry experience to help new comers and give them an opportunity to plan their journey, the reason I put all the information was to let them know what it is all about.

I have come to UK five times, but least visit was for Immigration purpose, I have been travelled to USA and 22 other countries. But what comes around goes around.
Alishah: So very sorry to have shared a story you would rather not have read. After reading several recent accounts of Americans being turned away for visits (INSIDER’s post above; mikeouk's recent post) I didn’t think my experience was that far off-topic. The only time I have had trouble entering the UK was as a tourist; same for most of my friends. As a visa holder, I have been greeted with grunts, not smiles; and questioned about my status here (maybe not so different from republique’s experiences in this thread). I have never had to be tested for TB, and I have not tried to bring in food (which is more of a Customs issue, not immigration) so all I could draw upon was my first trip here. I do think it is important to do some research before coming to the UK and be prepared for the IO’s questions; in my case, I was fully unprepared for my first visit and I was just lucky they let me in. Hopefully people reading this will see that it is a good example of what not to do.
_dubble_trubble: ‘Rich mum’, please :) Just because we like to throw around stereotypes and assumptions about each other, does not mean we’re always right. You are right, though, that the UK isn’t obliged to let in all Americans, which was my point. Many Americans (being the spoiled brats with a sense of entitlement that we are) don’t realize that. Healthy bank account or scraping the barrel, we’re all treated to the same scrutiny when we show up with no docs, no return flight booked, and no idea about immigration rules. It didn’t feel fair at the time, but now I know better. Hopefully more Americans are getting that message and avoiding disappointment.
That is a very funny post! :P :P :D

Macaroni: you crack me up :)

To get this thread back on topic, here is another suggestion for newcomers: keep your boarding pass handy. When I came through Heathrow Terminal 2 in mid-September, they had updated the landing cards. Along with name, address, occupation, and a few other details that they used to ask, they also asked for passport number and the flight you had just arrived on.

_dubble_trubble
Newly Registered

Post by _dubble_trubble » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Thanks whirly for your "verdict"

You really are the wisest of all

BTW it was not 'rich mum' - it was 'rich dad'

Post by 1971 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi All,

Some of the questions asked by the IO at the entry point are questions that any traveller should be prepared for. I am from a visa requiring country and have passed through IO at both Heathrow & Gtawick and never had issues bcos I try as much as possible to have all my travel documents in my hand luggage and also the landing form. I also have the details of wherever I am going and whom I am visiting with their telephone numbers.

Sometimes the IOs crack jokes but if you dont understand their jokes, you will think they are trying to be funny or drag you down or facial.But they are humans and sometimes we also as travellers have to be humane.

The only time I had to go through a tough one was when travelling from London Stansted - Glasgow - London. The searches were quite thorough which I can understand and I always put a smile on my face no matter what. Always approach the IOs with a sweet smile and dont look or sound nasty or spoilt.Afterall, everyone likes a smiley face. :D

Cheers

berkshire1987

Post by berkshire1987 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:58 pm

This is a big one.....However, if you told them that you were there to visit a friend but he is your boyfriend then they will see it as you tried to hide the fact he is your boyfriend. What with your boyfriend being in UK but you live in the US........in their eyes why would you want to go home!? If you lied on that count what is to say you did not on other counts......this is how they see it. Ok you may be genuine but the IO clearly was not happy.

Americans don't get special status on entering the UK if the IO is not happy with there reasons for entering.

I'm sorry you went through so much. Like I said you may well be genuine but I'm saying it as an IO would see it.