ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel with ILR while Citizenship is approved

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

syedalitarek
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Travel with ILR while Citizenship is approved

Post by syedalitarek » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Hello friends,

My wife's citizenship is approved and waiting for the ceremony.

We are booked to travel abroad on 17 Oct for an important visit

Now, will it be ok if she travels with her ILR. Once we return to Heathrow can we provide ILR and also produce her citizenship certificate? Will it create any problem as she is supposed to return the ILR BRP within 5 working days of receiving the citizenship certificate.

I just called the helpline both Homeoffice and HMPO both did not have any clue.

Any suggestion?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travel with ILR while Citizenship is approved

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:27 pm

She is only British AFTER she has attended her ceremony. The BRP card must be returned within 5 days of the ceremony.

Suggest schedule the ceremony for after you have traveled.

Note, HMPO has NOTHING to do with citizenship approval or ILR BRP cards, HMPO is only responsible for British Passports.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BigMo
United Kingdom

Post by BigMo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Hey

My (very limited) understanding is that a person does not become a BC until after the citizenship ceremony. So should be okay to travel with her BRP until her ceremony. The day she gets her certificate is the day she will qualify as a BC, so her BRP will no longer be valid as of that date. Not entirely sure what emergency documents she can request. I suppose even if she has a citizenship certificate, it's not a valid travel document (?) and she might have issues boarding the plane/train when returning.

Assuming it doesn't cause any unintended consequences, a practical workaround may be to delay the citizenship ceremony (?)

Would be keen to understand more experienced members' views on this..

aman90
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by aman90 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:27 pm

CR001’s has already advised and ur needlessly overthinking it.
The ceremony needs to be booked within 3 months.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:57 pm

BigMo wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:33 pm
Hey

My (very limited) understanding is that a person does not become a BC until after the citizenship ceremony. So should be okay to travel with her BRP until her ceremony. The day she gets her certificate is the day she will qualify as a BC, so her BRP will no longer be valid as of that date. Not entirely sure what emergency documents she can request. I suppose even if she has a citizenship certificate, it's not a valid travel document (?) and she might have issues boarding the plane/train when returning.

Assuming it doesn't cause any unintended consequences, a practical workaround may be to delay the citizenship ceremony (?)

Would be keen to understand more experienced members' views on this..
You already got the reply from one of the most experienced mod of this forum 🥴
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.