ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Registration under section 3(1)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amahmed81
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Child Registration under section 3(1)

Post by amahmed81 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi Everyone

I am British Citizen and my wife recently got her settlement(ILR). I have a son who is 8 year old born outside uk and is on Tier 1 visa currently. His visa will expire in March 2020. I got British citizenship after he was born.

I found on immigration forum that I can register my child as British citizen under home secretary discretion section MN3(1) along with my wife citizen application. Can someone confirm if this correct or someone with similar situation been successful.

Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child Registration under section 3(1)

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:56 pm

He needs ILR first. Why was he not included with your wife's ilr application?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

amahmed81
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by amahmed81 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:06 pm

As per MN3(1) Which is below states that he can be registered. Does not say about ILR so I thought i will apply for his registration directly

Registration at the Home Secretary’s discretion – Section
3(1) application
Children born abroad to parents who are applying for British
citizenship
Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for
one or more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic
acquisition of British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of
a “family application”. Children in this category will be considered at the Home
Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are
granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship
Page 14 of 25
and the other is settled in the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:15 pm

It is a risk you take and it can be refused and many have been refused, losing their fee and potentially the child's visa expires too during the process.

Children born abroad are expected to be free from immigration time restrictions, ie hold ilr, especially older children.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

amahmed81
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by amahmed81 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi CR001,

So you are saying it is not worth a risk?. Now if I decide to apply ILR what documentation do I need for Son who is 8 year old. Also once he get ILR does he need waiot for 12 month before Registering as british citizen
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:54 pm

So you are saying it is not worth a risk?.
Only you can decide if you want to take the risk and lose over £1000.
Now if I decide to apply ILR what documentation do I need for Son who is 8 year old.
Form Set(O), minimal documents.
Also once he get ILR does he need waiot for 12 month before Registering as british citizen
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

amahmed81
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by amahmed81 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Thank you