ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrinder Singh after Brexit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

heidinabucket
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Surrinder Singh after Brexit?

Post by heidinabucket » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi there.

I have had a look around but cant find a definitive answer.

Perhaps you can help? Has the British government made any statements about the Surrinder Singh route after Brexit?
(I´m a British national residing in Europe with my non European wife (Russian) and 3 children for many years)

Any advice on this sincerely appreciated.

Cheers.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Surrinder Singh after Brexit?

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:10 pm

Hello

You can't find a definitive answer because there is no definitive answer at the moment.

Anything around the lines "what happens to this or that after the Brexit" is pure speculation. Until we reach that point, you would never know what would happen to these ECJ rulings. They may continue to be valid for some time or may be over turned / replaced / become no longer applicable in the UK... It's hard to predict really. At the moment, I am not even sure the Brexit will ever happen.

zwfx
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Surrinder Singh after Brexit?

Post by zwfx » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 pm

The route will be extended until 2022 if the relationship exists on exit day, or the end of 2020 if the relationship is established after exit day.

I was at the British embassy in Berlin yesterday, where this was reiterated – although I have to say, they were distinctly lacking on details. It does, however, seem like something many people were worried/angry about, so I think it's a safe bet that this route will remain open. (This counts in the case of a no-deal Brexit too.)

Somebody posted about it here - referendum-news-and-developments/surind ... 78597.html

There's more info in paragraph 11 here - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... the_EU.pdf

After the respective periods, the stringent/miserable UK family reunion law will apply.