ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage to Non-EU

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

john_1234
Newly Registered
Ireland

Marriage to Non-EU

Post by john_1234 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:05 am

Hi,

I think I might be able to get some advice from people here who have the experience and the knowledge that I hope can guide me. In advance, Kudos to any replies. I really appreciate it.

I met my fiance in El Salvador when I was there working for 3 weeks for my job, not something that I planned but when you know, you know. that was in the middle of 2017. I proposed last Christmas when she came to Ireland for the holidays but she had already been over a good few times prior to that to meet the family and see the country.

Now I'm trying to see what the process is and what we would be required to do for her to come here legally and be able to work when she comes because we want to save for a house etc..

From what I can see it looks difficult and to get some advice/guidance or information from INIS or SOIN. I want to make sure that everything is done correctly and within the Policy Document on Non-EEA Family Reunification. We cannot make the application without being officially married and I just want to make sure that I do everything right and having read the policy in full, I have a question about how best to make the application.

If we are to start the application, I would be afraid that the short stay visa wouldn't give us enough time to complete the application and I was wondering if it was possible to do the application while she remains in her country?

I don't really know our rights and I'm lost on what to do but any help or advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks guys

jlad

Re: Marriage to Non-EU

Post by jlad » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi John,

I take it as you're irish citizen.

It depends if you're married to your fiance at the time of arrival in Ireland. If you want to get married in her home country then great. You two can return to ireland together because she is from El Salvador and that is non visa required national to Ireland.

Please check my replies on this site.

ireland/join-irish-spouse-how-long-married-t289303.html

I'm not too sure about getting married in Ireland so I will leave that to others who know the matters.

If you both married before your return to Ireland, it is a straight forward process and doesnt take too long to complete. I've just been through the process albeit I got married in england.

Hope this helps.

john_1234
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by john_1234 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks jlad, I really appreciate your response. Today I phoned the immigration council of Ireland with no idea how the call would go but luckily I got just the right person who had 10 years experience in immigration law.

He said that because she is from a visa exempt country that we should get married abroad and then come back to Ireland together with as many supporting documents that we could possibly have.

Proof of relationship
(as much proof as possible, plane tickets, photos together in different countries, the Spam sink basically to make it hard for them to refuse entry for her but also to prove the relationship is genuine)
Proof of marriage
wedding photo
bank statements from me
passports for both
I come through no eu with her because she will need to show my passport

When she asked her intention to enter the state, she says that she wants to enter the state to reside as the spouse of an Irish national and before I go on the flight to get married there I should book an appointment with INIS for her to register with immigration and have the reference number to show at immigration when coming through the airport.

Thank you again for your response, have a great day!

john_1234
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by john_1234 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:17 pm

The only question that I still have is, for proof of address - I can provide that for me but she has only been here on holidays (6 times over 2.5 years) and would have nothing with her name on it going to my home address.

Will it matter if she doesn't have that? maybe someone here might know..

I'm more optimistic after jlad's response so thanks again mate.

Zoot7
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Zoot7 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:34 am

john_1234 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:17 pm
The only question that I still have is, for proof of address - I can provide that for me but she has only been here on holidays (6 times over 2.5 years) and would have nothing with her name on it going to my home address.

Will it matter if she doesn't have that? maybe someone here might know..

I'm more optimistic after jlad's response so thanks again mate.
My experience of providing proof of address when going for Stamp4 is that we didn't actually need it. The immigration officer asked us for an address, but didn't actually ask us for a utility bill or such.

Now I wouldn't reccommend you go down that route for fear of getting turned away. One thing you can try is get proof of address for just yourself along with a letter stating she'll be living with you. It's worked for others before but your mileage may vary.

The only sure way to proceed is to get her named on a utility bill, as that's the most clear cut. She will be granted 90 days to stay from the time you arrive at the airport, that should be more than enough time to get her named on at least one bill.

As an aside - Get both of you named jointly on all utility bills that you can in the future, it makes the proof of address requirement much easier down the line, be it for GNIB renewals, or other visas.

(I'm Irish and my wife is from the Philippines)