ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Amendments to Naturalization Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

reyyhn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Amendments to Naturalization Certificate

Post by reyyhn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi guys,
I received my naturalization certificate but home office did not include my second surname on certificate even it was written on my passport. I am going to apply for british passport but when i checked online it says you need correction on a certificate and gov. uk says you may need to pay of £250. So under what circumstances we need to pay it? Even it is writtin on my foreign passport home office printed the citizenship certificate with my first surname. So is there anyone had the same experience? Please give an advice as I dont want to. pay for it?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Amendments to Naturalization Certificate

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Does it appear on your biometric page or a second surname as a family member page etc??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

reyyhn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by reyyhn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:22 am

on my brp its writtin my maiden surname. Before I apply for naturalization I changed my foreign passport and added my married surname as well as my maiden surname.

katanayi
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by katanayi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:46 am

have you checked approval/invitation letter?, in that letter they mentioned to check name and contact HO , if it is incorect. This supposed to done before ceremony.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:17 am

I don't think you need to pay 250. I suggest in order

1. speak to passport office. Tell them certificate is in your maiden name, not first surname as you say here. Both are correct but maiden is your previous name that passport office will probably accept changing with marriage certificate.

I think the certificate is valid as this *was* your name. This option is likely to be quicker. The big thing for passports is that names on all of them match.

2. You can ask Home office to change the certificate for free if the mistake is theirs. You post the certificate with a copy of your foreign passport. There is a form, but you don't have to use it (not sure if that delays). It seems to take 1-3 months to get the corrected certificate.

Hope it works out easily.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 am

For anybody else seeing this later, letter says to notify HO, but change of name is preferred after ceremony as doing it before will delay the ceremony significantly. I think you mainly want to change it before that if the name is so different and unconnected you won't be admitte to the ceremony.
Last edited by vaza on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

reyyhn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by reyyhn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 am

katanayi wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:46 am
have you checked approval/invitation letter?, in that letter they mentioned to check name and contact HO , if it is incorect. This supposed to done before ceremony.
Yes i did and it also says you need to change it after ceremony...

reyyhn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by reyyhn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:27 am

vaza wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:17 am
I don't think you need to pay 250. I suggest in order

1. speak to passport office. Tell them certificate is in your maiden name, not first surname as you say here. Both are correct but maiden is your previous name that passport office will probably accept changing with marriage certificate.

I think the certificate is valid as this *was* your name. This option is likely to be quicker. The big thing for passports is that names on all of them match.

2. You can ask Home office to change the certificate for free if the mistake is theirs. You post the certificate with a copy of your foreign passport. There is a form, but you don't have to use it (not sure if that delays). It seems to take 1-3 months to get the corrected certificate.

Hope it works out easily.
Thanks for your advice. I did call both of them. Home office does not give info whether I need to pay or not, adviser on the phone says home office will tell you that and also told me to contact to passport office. I called passport office and they said you need to amend it but also he said if there is a change we might ask different proof such as marriage certificate which i am happy to send but again he said amendments are the correct way to apply so im a bit confused. Therefore Im trying to see if anyone had a similar experience.

Thanks for you time.

reyyhn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by reyyhn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:32 am

vaza wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 am
For anybody else seeing this later, letter says to notify HO, but change of name is preferred after ceremony as doing it before will delay the ceremony significantly. I think you mainly want to change it before that if the name is so different and unconnected you won't be admitte to the ceremony.
i did attended to the ceremony without a problem. invitation letter says do it after ceremony anyway but my concerns about applying a bp with marriage certificate will be eough or not. I don't want them to delay anything.

katanayi
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by katanayi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 am

reyyhn wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 am
katanayi wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:46 am
Yes i did and it also says you need to change it after ceremony...
It also says, return the certificate to HO to amend it. You should also send it a passport/birth certificate as a piece of evidence. That also means you should do it before the passport application as the passport process has not done by HO.
I don't see anything confusing here and you no need to pay for this. that's my understanding