ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family member card and living at different places?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nordsee
Germany

EEA family member card and living at different places?

Post by nordsee » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi all, unfortunately it is not working well between me (EU citizen) and my wife (non eu). I'm thinking to move out and she would move closer to her workplace. We would remain married. She has a EEA family member residence card which was issued about 18 months ago.

Are we legally allowed to live apart from each other?

Links / sources would be great.

Thanks in advance

Nordsee

secret.simon

Re: EEA family member card and living at different places?

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 am

Provided the EEA citizen resides in the UK and is exercising treaty rights or holds PR and the non-EEA citizen remains married to the EEA citizen for at least three years, then the non-EEA citizen has a right to reside anywhere within the same EEA member-state as the EEA citizen (Diatta case law of the ECJ).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

nordsee
Germany

Post by nordsee » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Excellent. Thank you so much

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:35 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 am
Provided the EEA citizen resides in the UK and is exercising treaty rights or holds PR and the non-EEA citizen remains married to the EEA citizen for at least three years, then the non-EEA citizen has a right to reside anywhere within the same EEA member-state as the EEA citizen (Diatta case law of the ECJ).
That statement is very correct in many respect, but I think there is a slight muddle between the Diatta principles and the retained residence provision.

Diatta principle kind of applies, irrespective of whether a marriage had subsisted for 3 years or more. Furthermore 3 years alone is not sufficient for retained rights, divorce proceedings ought to have commenced as well.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors