ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Update my BRP surname from maiden name before Travel?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Monserrat

Update my BRP surname from maiden name before Travel?

Post by Monserrat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Hello

I am a non EU with BRP travelling to Spain next month with British spouse and child after obtaining a schengen visa. My BRP was issued in my maiden name after a long battle with home office. I renewed my passport last year in my marital surname.

My question is it compulsory to change my BRP to my marital surname so it matches my passport? Anyone with experience of issues at the airport when coming back into the Uk. Am planning to have marriage certificate and old passport with maiden surname on it, does anyone have any opinions about this they don't mind sharing??

Many thanks!

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Update my BRP surname from maiden name before Travel?

Post by ALKB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Monserrat wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:04 pm
Hello

I am a non EU with BRP travelling to Spain next month with British spouse and child after obtaining a schengen visa. My BRP was issued in my maiden name after a long battle with home office. I renewed my passport last year in my marital surname.

My question is it compulsory to change my BRP to my marital surname so it matches my passport? Anyone with experience of issues at the airport when coming back into the Uk. Am planning to have marriage certificate and old passport with maiden surname on it, does anyone have any opinions about this they don't mind sharing??

Many thanks!
That might actually be a problem:

https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp

What kind of BRP do you hold?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Monserrat

Post by Monserrat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:18 pm

A two and half yearbased on British spouse and British child. it is Due for renewal next year. I got the visa even after I applied as a married person and submitted my marriage certificate. Even if i have my marriage certificate and old pasaport at airport? Do you know how long it takes to change surname on BRP card to marital surname?

Monserrat

Post by Monserrat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Also thank you for the link and time you took to reply. I looked at it and it says THIS FORM SHOULD BE USED FOR APPLICANTS MADE ON OR AFTER 21st DECEMBER 2018. My new passport was done in July 2018 and I had received my BRP in my maiden surname before July 2018. Do you know if it is it the form I would need to use to change my name?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 pm

Monserrat wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:18 pm
A two and half yearbased on British spouse and British child. it is Due for renewal next year. I got the visa even after I applied as a married person and submitted my marriage certificate. Even if i have my marriage certificate and old pasaport at airport? Do you know how long it takes to change surname on BRP card to marital surname?
I am afraid I don't know.

I see from your previous posts that you hold FLR (FP). You might want to post your query in a UK forum like the immigration for family members forum rather than the Europe forum.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 pm

The requirement is to apply for a new brp when you change your name if an application for a visa extension is not within 3 months.

You should have changed your passport before applying for the visa to keep things simple.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Monserrat

Post by Monserrat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 pm
The requirement is to apply for a new brp when you change your name if an application for a visa extension is not within 3 months.

You should have changed your passport before applying for the visa to keep things simple.
Thanks for the reply. Mine was a long issue with H.O spanning over years so when I applied initially it was with my old maiden surname passport. Even during the process when i re-applied before new passport and sent my marriage certificate, they issued my BRP in maiden surname. Last year after my passport expired (6months after BRP was issued in old surname) is when applied for a new passport changing surname to my husband's surname. Does anyone know how much it costs to apply and change name and also the processing time? So it wouldnt be advidable to travel and show my marriage certificate to prove I am the same person.

Many thanks .

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm

A visa and brp will only be issued in the name you have in your official passport.

A replacement can take between 8 weeks and 6 months using standard service.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Monserrat

Post by Monserrat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:34 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm
A visa and brp will only be issued in the name you have in your official passport.

A replacement can take between 8 weeks and 6 months using standard service.

Thank you. I will just cancel my flights and not risk travelling with the two different surnames. I am due to renew my application in june next year. I hope it won't take 6months to change my name.

Thank you all so much.

Monserrat

Post by Monserrat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 pm

I see from your previous posts that you hold FLR (FP). You might want to post your query in a UK forum like the immigration for family members forum rather than the Europe forum.
[/quote]

I posted here since it was to do with travel in Europe
I will take your advice and post in the family migration group. Moderators please correct if I am wrong in this. Than you for your reply and time.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:34 pm

Monserrat wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 pm

I posted here since it was to do with travel in Europe
I will take your advice and post in the family migration group. Moderators please correct if I am wrong in this. Than you for your reply and time.
[/quote]

A moderator has already moved the thread to the General UK Immigration forum.

You'll probably get more responses there, since the problem is likely with returning to the UK rather than entering or leaving the EU.