ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Visa needed for baby born abroad?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

agkh
Newly Registered

Is Visa needed for baby born abroad?

Post by agkh » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:33 am

hello,

this question came to my mind over the weekend, i will ask this question at the embassy when it opens but in the mean time can anyone help or share their experience...

if you are british and ur wife is not
and u are living abroad
you have a baby
you are able to register the birth with a british style certificate
and u are able to make a passport for ur child

but:
-is this a full british passport, looks the same as the fathers, as if issued from uk
-wud the child need a visa????

-a baby of 2 weeks -would his photograph be accepted- at this age babies face change almost every 2 days?

-does the mother need to change her passport to add the child -her passport has just been stamped with a uk visa, we dont want risk in losing or delaying her passport...

thanks (sorry for the bad writing im using a new flexible rubber/silicon keyboard :) )

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:11 am

A British passport issued whilst Overseas would be no different from a British passport issued in the UK.

A British passport holder would not require a visa for the UK.
Passport photographs wrote:Children
Photographs for children aged six and over must meet the full standards set out in this guide.
Photographs of children five years and under must show a clear image that is a true likeness of the child. As young children can be difficult to photograph, children aged five and under do not need to have a neutral expression or to look directly at the camera, but they must face forward.
In addition to the exceptions above, babies under one year old do not need to have their eyes open (however it is preferable for eyes to remain open). All other standards must be met. If the baby’s head needs to be supported, it is important that your supporting hand cannot be seen.
If you have real difficulty in meeting these conditions, you should visit a photographic studio rather than a photo booth.
If the child has his/her own passport, then there is no need to add him/her to his/her mother's passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Is Visa needed for baby born abroad?

Post by Christophe » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:03 am

As Vinny says, the British passport that the child has will be exactly like a British passport issued in the UK. As a British citizen, the child needs no visa to enter or stay in the UK.
agkh wrote: -does the mother need to change her passport to add the child -her passport has just been stamped with a uk visa, we dont want risk in losing or delaying her passport...
The child may also be a citizen of the mother's country of citizenship, depending on what country that is and what its own citizenship laws are. If the child is a citizen of that country, he or she presumably would be also entitled to a passport of that country or (if the rules of that country allow) would be able to be added to the mother's passport. (However, no such passport is needed as far as the UK is concerned.) It's worth noting that, increasingly, including children on a parent's passport makes for less ease of travel and so it would be more sensible to get the child his or her own second passport, if he or she is entitled to it.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Am I right in thinking that some British missions do not have the authority to issue full British passports? e.g. (where cases of fraud are high), they now only issue travel documents, if you your passport is lost, misplaced or stolen?

Not sure how this might affect a newborn, though.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:47 pm

sakura wrote:Am I right in thinking that some British missions do not have the authority to issue full British passports? e.g. (where cases of fraud are high), they now only issue travel documents, if you your passport is lost, misplaced or stolen?

Not sure how this might affect a newborn, though.
If that is the case, the passport application will be sent to the nearest British mission with full passport facilities, or to the FCO in London, for processing.

agkh
Newly Registered

Post by agkh » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks everyone, great help as usual :)

agkh
Newly Registered

Post by agkh » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Hi again,

I need a little help with the passport application C2 for my little boy - 2 week old :).

1. Mr, Master, Miss, Other
They omitted Mrs, ofcourse a child wont be married that young, shouldn't Mr be omitted to?
Is my son a Mr or a Master :roll:

2. Age last birthday
He's two weeks, his last birthday he was 0 years old - shall I put 0 years??? :?:

3. Permenant address
Does it have to be in the UK, or can be the present country we are applying from?

4. Initital end of each page.
Mine or my son's?

5. Next of kin
Can one be in the UK and one abroad?

6. Other Information
Can I/Should I put anything in here?

7.Countersignatory
I don't know any other british citizen here, but i cn do a local, who would be best, what type of occupation am I looking for, govermental official, lawyer, teacher, etc.

Thanks

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:50 pm

agkh wrote:Hi again,

I need a little help with the passport application C2 for my little boy - 2 week old :).

1. Mr, Master, Miss, Other
They omitted Mrs, ofcourse a child wont be married that young, shouldn't Mr be omitted to?
Is my son a Mr or a Master :roll:

2. Age last birthday
He's two weeks, his last birthday he was 0 years old - shall I put 0 years??? :?:

3. Permenant address
Does it have to be in the UK, or can be the present country we are applying from?

4. Initital end of each page.
Mine or my son's?

5. Next of kin
Can one be in the UK and one abroad?

6. Other Information
Can I/Should I put anything in here?

7.Countersignatory
I don't know any other british citizen here, but i cn do a local, who would be best, what type of occupation am I looking for, govermental official, lawyer, teacher, etc.

Thanks
1. Master.
2. Age in months.
3. Permanent address in country you are applying.
4. Yours. lol.
5. Usually parent(s) of applicant is next of kin.
6. Date of travel if the passport is urgently required.
7. Exactly yes, government official, lawyer, teacher, etc. Also police officer, doctor..
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

agkh
Newly Registered

Post by agkh » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi,

Thank you so much.

I would like to add a few more, and a question about registering for a birth certificate abroad.

PASSPORT

2. Age in months.
Actually, he is 0 months too.....only 16 days old, i suppoe that is ok

2, Was the child registered as a British citizen? Number of document: Place of Issue: Date of Issue:
is this the birth certificate or some other registration process, where is thenumber of doc?

3, Countersignagtory: Not a member of the family
what exactly constitutes as a family member?
just your's (and your spouses') mom, dad & brothers/sister
or those with the same surname as your's (and your spouses')
what about an uncle, cousin, etc

i would like to use my wife's uncle, if possible - they don't share the same surname

BIRTH CERTIFICATE

1, Information about the informant
who is the informant, me the father? on my birth cert, there is nothing written on that section..

Thanks