ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after ceremony before applying for UK passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Travel after ceremony before applying for UK passport

Post by obormot » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Dear all:
I just received the approval letter for my citizenship application and I am about to book the citizenship ceremony.
But I will need to travel abroad frequently during coming months.
I an EU citizen.

1. After I get the citizenship certificate, will I be legally allowed to travel out and return to UK on non-UK passport or ID?
Or should I try to postpone the oath ceremony till mid- January?
I am scheduled to travel to Asia and US for job in November-December..

2. If I apply for UK passport, will ot be OK to travel to Europe and back on my EU ID while application is processed?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Travel after ceremony before applying for UK passport

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Hello

I am an EEA citizen + BC by naturalization and when I travel (multiple times a month) I randomly pick up the first ID/Passport I find. Either EEA passport/id or my British passport. Never had any issue.

Once you sign the British Citizenship Certificate at the ceremony, you are British. But you are not required to apply for a British passport.

The only thing you can't do, is if you have a non-EEA passport and a residence card and use those to travel. But travelling with your EEA passport/id is not an issue.