ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unable to provide original death certificate

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

elise1313
Newly Registered
European Union

Unable to provide original death certificate

Post by elise1313 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:14 am

Hello!

I'm new here, driven by desperation to these (hopefully) friendly shores because on Wednesday I got a message that after nine months my FBR application was being processed - yay!

Then I read in the message that they need me to provide an original death certificate for my grandfather.

Unfortunately this is impossible, because he died in Germany in 1968, and after 30 years by law they will not issue any further original certificates, but only a copy of the register page recording details. They had recommended that I have the deed apostilled (similar to notarisation), and I had done this and provided a full certified translation.

I ought to mention that it is quite possible there is no original deed any more anyway, because the archive in question had a major disaster in 2009 and 90% of its holdings were affected, causing about 50 years' worth of restoration work.

Since there are no questions about the birth or marriage certificates in the line, I feel very upset that my application may be rejected on a technicality that does not have any bearing on my Irish heritage.

Has anyone here been through anything similar? I saw some discussion about being unable to provide ID for a living grandparent. Would explaining German law help?

TIA!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Unable to provide original death certificate

Post by littlerr » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Post your question in the FBR thread please. Maybe do some searches in that thread. I vaguely remember there were people in the same boat.
ireland/foreign-birth-registration-t277641.html

elise1313
Newly Registered
European Union

Re: Unable to provide original death certificate

Post by elise1313 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks, littlerr - I had looked in that thread but it seemed to be more about timelines.
Will try it now :)