ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

hsmp to be replaced with tier 1 level point system

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

simar

hsmp to be replaced with tier 1 level point system

Post by simar » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:02 am

As I was reading this doc.
http://www.official-documents.co.uk/doc ... 2/6472.pdf
As such I don’t find much problem for people like us who want to come on point system basis. Rather I will say it is fine for English speaking people from India. Since they will at advantage in comparison with non-English speaking country people.(china ,east European, south American etc…)
After replacing hsmp with this new tier 1 level scheme. I guess the requirement of IELTS score of 8.0 band is really tough. I score overall 7.5 band 2 years back (Applied for Canada) listening: 7.5, reading 8, writing 7 & speaking 7. But may be after one or two try one should able to get over all 8.0 band too. Anyway let hope our application get pass thorough current hsmp scheme only…

gill_b_s
Newly Registered

new scheme

Post by gill_b_s » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:58 am

Hi Simar,
Its not very clear to me as to when this scheme will be implemented? i'm planing to apply by march 1st week .. will the old scheme be applicable then?

Cheers,
Gill

shonolaku
Newly Registered

Post by shonolaku » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:33 am

Based on opinions and recent publications, it likely the new changes take effects from April or May after the election. So 1st March is still alright but its better if you can get it in earlier.

Alagomeji

Post by Alagomeji » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:17 am

I wonder if there is any similarity between the IELTS exam and the Toefl exam. I have a perfect Toefl score :)
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, BUT UNBOWED

INVICTUS ; William Ernest Henley. 1849–1903

gill_b_s
Newly Registered

toefl/ielts

Post by gill_b_s » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:36 am

I don't think same rules apply to toefl and ielts as far as the scoring goes.
I have 7.5 band of ielts 9 7.5 7 7 missed by .5 neway .. gettin 8 is not a big task i guess :-)
but the big question again is ..when will the new policy be implemented .. guess there no clear information available on that .. moderators can throw some light .

cheers,
Gill

simar

Post by simar » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:22 am

TOFEL is more related to grammatical mistakes checks in written & spoken English I guess. While the General IELTS test emphasis to test how well a person can interact in western world. How much he can understand a western accent spoken person. His presence of mind is tested in reading section. & later on his thoughts on recent controversy is tested in writing & speaking

HIGHEST possible band in IELTS is 9.

1> Listening section: Emphasis is on one can understand as what if 4 people taking in western English speaking accent are speaking. Since it is pure objective type paper. So scoring can be as high as 9
2> Reading: Again, presence of mind is tested thoroughly in this test. What seems written is not meant. One have to understand written para & related questions very carefully. Again a objective test. So points can be go high as 9. Mind it. Most people can score up to 6 easily. It is reaching upper band that requires years of reading experience
3> Writing: One is asked to write one letter & one essay on a typical problem related to child care, smoking ban or any controversy. One has to put quality words & try to explain his thoughts with examples. Good handwriting helps in raising the band more. Since it is subjective marking ,scoring high on this in range of 8-9 is not so easy
4> Speaking:: Again a subjective marking. Speaking fluently is just one of the pre- conditions to get pass 6 band. It is quality of reasoning that one will gives, for the questions asked by the interviewer that counts for scoring above 6 band. I was sure to score 8 band in this section. But in particular question, lady question me do not like my answer. Her face expression tells so .. I was sure to not being able to pass 7 band (require for Canada) But thanks gods she gave me 7 band.

Generally people after preparation touches 6 or 6.5 band ( enough for Australia). It passing, reaching 8 band that require persons whole personality to come out. But then we all claim ourselves high skill. So should not be problem for us

I guess enough of IETLS fresh course from my side. Hope we guys do not have to go through it -)

MGazan

Post by MGazan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:25 am

I am also planning to apply in 2nd week of march, i cannot apply earlier as i have to claim february's earning to get points.

Can you please tell me that even in march do i have to submit IELTS score?

Please clear the confusion...

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:58 am

MGazan wrote:I am also planning to apply in 2nd week of march, i cannot apply earlier as i have to claim february's earning to get points.

Can you please tell me that even in march do i have to submit IELTS score?

Please clear the confusion...
at the moment nothing is certain, these are changes they intend to introduce gradually over the next 5 years, they wont make all those changes overnight, also depends on the election results (they will win anyway, and actually better Labour than Tories).
The changes that are definitely taking place are the increase in fees

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:04 am

:oops: I could be wrong, i just read Chess's post on WHM visas and it seems that is effective not only immediately but also affects those still in the queue. imagine they do that with HSMP what about all those people waiting from June / July 04 who have been waiting all this time while people from December and Januway are having their applications processed. This is really bad

zahidhsmp

Post by zahidhsmp » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:22 am

Yes f2k you right about WHM changes. Following is what they state after mentioning the changes:

"The changes will affect all applications, including those made before 8 February which have not yet been decided. Those who applied before 8 February and have not received a decision will be allowed to choose to have their application decided under the new requirements, or to withdraw their application and receive a refund of the application fee."

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 7293262461

Lets see what they do with HSMP. If they follow same for HSMP than lot of people waiting for their HSMP decision may be in problem :roll:

Regards

desiguy

Post by desiguy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:58 pm

zahidhsmp wrote:Yes f2k you right about WHM changes. Following is what they state after mentioning the changes:

"The changes will affect all applications, including those made before 8 February which have not yet been decided. Those who applied before 8 February and have not received a decision will be allowed to choose to have their application decided under the new requirements, or to withdraw their application and receive a refund of the application fee."

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 7293262461

Lets see what they do with HSMP. If they follow same for HSMP than lot of people waiting for their HSMP decision may be in problem :roll:

Regards
Zahid,

That link is specific to "Working Holiday Maker Scheme" .

So it seems that if a working holiday maker switches to HSMP, the new rules will apply. However, it does not apply to regular HSMP applications.