ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which documents should I keep?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ScoobyLondon
United Kingdom

Which documents should I keep?

Post by ScoobyLondon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Missus has now applied for her British passport after a near 6 year application process (fiance visa for 6 months, then 5yr route and then Citizenship and passport application).

Once the new passport arrives, is there any documentation I need to retain for future use? And how long should I keep this documentation?

All I can think of is the Naturalisation certificate and the HO letters - anything else?

Also, are there any restrictions once the passport arrives, e.g. restricted travel, say beyond 90 days, etc?

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Which documents should I keep?

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:48 pm

Once the new passport arrives, is there any documentation I need to retain for future use? And how long should I keep this documentation?
Not really no.
All I can think of is the Naturalisation certificate and the HO letters - anything else?
Whatever you do, do NOT laminate the naturalisation certificate. Just put in somewhere safe in a plastic sleeve.
Also, are there any restrictions once the passport arrives, e.g. restricted travel, say beyond 90 days, etc?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Anambra
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Anambra » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Why not keep them? Keeping them will not do you any harm. You never can tell when you will need them...

AnotherUUID
United Kingdom

Post by AnotherUUID » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 pm

My personal solution to OP's question was to use those big multi-function Xerox devices at work to do a bulk "Scan to PDF" of all of the documents I had accumulated over the years that had been used for immigration purposes - all in all over 6y's worth of paperwork - then destroy the originals to save up some house "real estate". I also made a digital copy of my naturalisation certificate in case it ever gets lost and needs to be reissued or whatever.

Perhaps not necessary and an overkill but I think it's a good compromise as you both save physical space and retain all of your data at the cost of hardly any disk space even at high resolution.

Slight resurrection (sorry!) but I thought the above might be of use to the OP and perhaps others who may not have come across this, albeit simple, idea.