ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing my Filipina partner into the country for marriage and possible settlement.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JamesNorris84
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Bringing my Filipina partner into the country for marriage and possible settlement.

Post by JamesNorris84 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi all

Please could you take some time to advise me as it's all a bit new to me and no matter how much research I do theres nothing better than previous experience.

I met my girlfriend earlier this year whilst we were both working in Saudi Arabia. She is on a two year working contract there so I do my best to get over to her or stop over whenever I'm in that part of the world.

Obviously it will be a long process due to my partners working contract but I was hoping I could get some advise on which Visa i would need to help her with and what that process would be.

cheers in advance

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Re: Bringing my Filipina partner into the country for marriage and possible settlement.

Post by THO » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi,

It depends on what your plans are when she comes over? You could get her a visitor visa, but hard to prove she will return, so might be rejected. Holiday only.

The unmarried partner visa, you would have had to live together for two years outside the UK. I think you can then apply to marry in the UK, and convert to spouse visa once done.

Marriage visitor visa, she can come over and stay for up to 6 months, (no work) and while here you can get married, should take 3 weeks to get and is quite cheap. She will need to return to PH and apply for a spouse visa. This was my route, and if it had not been for some HO foul ups regarding the MVV, and then one of my making regarding the SV, it would have been the fastest and cheapest way for us to have got what we got. However delays can happen with any visa, so if we had gone the next route, it might well have been more expensive and longer process.

Fiance visa, she can come over for up to 6 months, you marry her and then apply while she is in the UK to convert to a spouse visa.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Bringing my Filipina partner into the country for marriage and possible settlement.

Post by Casa » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:53 pm

THO wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:16 pm
Hi,

It depends on what your plans are when she comes over? You could get her a visitor visa, but hard to prove she will return, so might be rejected. Holiday only.

The unmarried partner visa, you would have had to live together for two years outside the UK. I think you can then apply to marry in the UK, and convert to spouse visa once done. If you apply as Unmarried Partners and the visa is granted, there is no requirement to marry in the UK and switch to a spouse visa. They are in effect, the same.

Marriage visitor visa, she can come over and stay for up to 6 months, (no work) and while here you can get married, should take 3 weeks to get and is quite cheap. She will need to return to PH and apply for a spouse visa. This was my route, and if it had not been for some HO foul ups regarding the MVV, and then one of my making regarding the SV, it would have been the fastest and cheapest way for us to have got what we got. However delays can happen with any visa, so if we had gone the next route, it might well have been more expensive and longer process.

Fiance visa, she can come over for up to 6 months, you marry her and then apply while she is in the UK to convert to a spouse visa.
However, please note regarding my comment above regarding an Unmarried Partner visa, it appears from your opening post that you won't qualify for this as you haven't been living together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years. Visiting from time to time won't be considered.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

BordersDivide
Egypt

Post by BordersDivide » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Saudi law for unmarried couples staying over at each other’s houses, hotels are extremely strict... point to consider when proving your relationship.

JamesNorris84
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JamesNorris84 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:26 am

Hi
thank you so much that's exactly what I needed! As we speek I'm travelling home from Saudi Arabia having proposed so it's safe to say the long term plan is marriage. So in your opinion the marriage Visa is my best course of action?
Obviously her situation in Saudi makes it impossible to cohabit but we have kept records of correspondence and any time we share together to help show it is a true relationship.

JamesNorris84
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JamesNorris84 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:31 am

BordersDivide wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:38 pm
Saudi law for unmarried couples staying over at each other’s houses, hotels are extremely strict... point to consider when proving your relationship.
The laws have recently been relaxed with this but as with most things in life they are taking an age to come into every day life. I am lucky enough to have found a hotel that caters to our needs but I must stress I have the upmost respect for Saudi laws and customs whilst I'm there

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:58 am

Consider marriage in Saudi first and then apply for a spouse visa?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:01 am

Further to Vinny's advice, when will your fiancee be ready to settle with you in the UK?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JamesNorris84
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JamesNorris84 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:54 am

My fiancee is contracted to work in Saudi until early 2021 and is marriage possible in Saudi Arabia between two non saudi nationals? To be honest I hadn't even thought about this route!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:04 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Br28016
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Br28016 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:12 pm

He would have to be resident in Saudi to get married at Embassey.

Marriage visit visa to UK would probably be best option but depend on how much time she could get off to get to UK for marriage. Could then look to do spouse visa application from saudi to match end of work permit to avoid returning to philippines. If remember the rules correctly you can apply from country where resident and would expect on two year work visa that would meet requirement.

Complication would be her passport as if I remember correctly employer holds passport but also nornally have to submit passport when applying for settlement visa and they retain for duration of application.

BordersDivide
Egypt

Post by BordersDivide » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:48 pm

Not all employers hold the passport of Saudi work force.

What she would need is a exit and re-entry visa from her employer - if they are willing to do that.

Syncing that time off, and getting the UK visa is going to be tricky as both of these countries have difficult visa requirements and not stick to guided time lines.

Hopefully the employer is willing to be little flexible and allow her the time to leave the country on re-entry visa.

JamesNorris84
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JamesNorris84 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:18 am

Thank you for all your advice it really has been informative and a real eye opener!

Unfortunately my fiancee's employer is refusing her time to leave to complete required processes so we believe a longer term plan would be best. She has mentioned me going to the Philippines to marry and then travel to the UK.
Although a longer process, does this make sense?

thank you

BordersDivide
Egypt

Post by BordersDivide » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:21 am

Convert to Islam and get married in Saudi lol

Running out of options here!

JamesNorris84
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JamesNorris84 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:13 am

Has anyone got advice about the process for going to the Philippines to marry and then come to the UK?

westside
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by westside » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Get married outside of the UK first, it makes things much easier. Plenty of countries allow non nationals to marry

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:21 pm

JamesNorris84
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JamesNorris84 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:34 pm

Thank you so much, that's some great advice and the link to the government page is great!!!