ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application pending but need to move abroad temporarily

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bebu2019
Newly Registered
France

Application pending but need to move abroad temporarily

Post by Bebu2019 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I applied on 27th September and am still waiting for approval (or indeed for any response really). The thing is that I have a work placement (which is part of my UK PhD) starting this January and I will need to move abroad on the 8th. The placement might last up to a year (!!). I knew I'd have to go abroad eventually, but it was initially not supposed to be before next summer, therefore I thought that by applying in September I should be safe. Now that the internship's starting date was moved forward it seems very likely that I won't get the letter before I leave. I have to give up my lease here, so my questions are as follows:

1. Should I change my address to the one abroad or should I use a UK friend's address (if allowed)?
2. If I need to give my address abroad, when should I do that? (What if I notify them, but the letter has already been dispatched to my former address? Can you redirect HO letters abroad?)
3. How would it work to have the ceremony at an Embassy? When I applied I simply picked my local council (Aberdeen), but can it be changed to a venue abroad?
4. Can a passport be issued with a foreign address on it?

Thank you so much for your help. I tried finding the answers but couldn't, so I apologise if it is repetitive!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Application pending but need to move abroad temporarily

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:01 am

1. If you change to an address abroad, HO will questions your future intentions. The form asked you about this and you would have likely stated the UK. You can use a friend's address. Whether HO updates it quick enough for any letters though, is another tissue

2. You would need to check Royal mail redirection. Note if possible, will cause delays in you recieving anything.

3. You can't. You would have to return to the UK for your ceremony.

4. British passports are not printed with your address on.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bebu2019
Newly Registered
France

Post by Bebu2019 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Thank you very much for your help! Yes, I am not planning to stay abroad for longer than the placement and I do have all the paperwork signed by both universities clearly stating that I will be coming back by the end of 2020. In any case I will do what you suggest.

Happy holidays!

Anambra
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Anambra » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Bebu2019 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:19 pm
Hello everyone,

I applied on 27th September and am still waiting for approval (or indeed for any response really). The thing is that I have a work placement (which is part of my UK PhD) starting this January and I will need to move abroad on the 8th. The placement might last up to a year (!!). I knew I'd have to go abroad eventually, but it was initially not supposed to be before next summer, therefore I thought that by applying in September I should be safe. Now that the internship's starting date was moved forward it seems very likely that I won't get the letter before I leave. I have to give up my lease here, so my questions are as follows:

1. Should I change my address to the one abroad or should I use a UK friend's address (if allowed)?
2. If I need to give my address abroad, when should I do that? (What if I notify them, but the letter has already been dispatched to my former address? Can you redirect HO letters abroad?)
3. How would it work to have the ceremony at an Embassy? When I applied I simply picked my local council (Aberdeen), but can it be changed to a venue abroad?
4. Can a passport be issued with a foreign address on it?

Thank you so much for your help. I tried finding the answers but couldn't, so I apologise if it is repetitive!
You’d have to consider your options carefully.

1. You open yourself to unnecessary scrutiny and delay by requesting to have your oath taking ceremony in an embassy of High Commission. Any suspicion that you intend not to live in the UK is a risk that you don’t want to take after all these years.

2. In addition, check that mails from the Home Office can be redirected. I doubt if Royal Mail will tell you this, as there is an element of security associated with things like this.

Extrovert Nerd
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Extrovert Nerd » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi,

Just interested to know what you did in the end and were you able to arrange for a ceremony abroad?

Thanks!

Bebu2019
Newly Registered
France

Post by Bebu2019 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi!

I moved abroad as planned, changed my address to that of a friend in my city in the UK via the online form and they acknowledged it. I am however still waiting for their decision so sadly can't give any further advice.

Sous49
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Sous49 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:19 am

Bebu2019 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:06 pm
Hi!

I moved abroad as planned, changed my address to that of a friend in my city in the UK via the online form and they acknowledged it. I am however still waiting for their decision so sadly can't give any further advice.
all the best Bebu