ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) Extension document question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

thedancingotter
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

FLR(M) Extension document question

Post by thedancingotter » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:54 pm

Hello,

My wife is in the process of applying for a 30 month extension on her FLR (M) visa and I had a few questions regarding the documents required.

1. With regards to proving financial eligibility through savings, there doesn't seem to be a list of banks that are considered acceptable as documentation. I'm wondering about this because this is the route we're going to go down and the savings are currently in a Marcus (Goldman Sachs) savings account, which is covered by the correct authorities and the required cash requirement can instantly be transferred to a current account and withdrawn. Would a statement for this account suffice?

2. With regards to proof of address documentation, it says "Bank statements or letters", is there any specific guidance on what letters refers to? ie. I have a few letters which are proposing a loan I could out with my bank or a letter containing the status of my current account switch.

I'd appreciate any guidance on these two questions.

Thank you!

thedancingotter
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: FLR(M) Extension document question

Post by thedancingotter » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:42 pm

Also, there's some confusion with regards to following question:

Reason for extension:

Please choose the reason you are applying for an extension, this includes if you are switching to a partner visa from another type. (Required)
(a) First extension as a partner (following an initial period of entry as a partner, or as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person)
(b) Additional extension as a partner
(c) First application as a partner from within the UK (for example, you are currently in the UK on another type of visa or permission to stay)

I'm not sure if it should be (a) or (b). She initially had a student visa when we applied for a spouse visa and this is technically her first extension on Leave to Remain, so my instinct is leading me towards (a) but I've read conflicting comments elsewhere that (a) refers to Enter to Remain...

rssfed23
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rssfed23 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:49 am

The bank account is fine like you say it's a proper savings account. As long as you've got the required length of time evidence through statements (and those are original statements or certified copies by the bank) then that's fine. Make sure the amount doesn't dip below the threshold at any point during the time period your evidencing.

The application does give guidance as to what kind of documentation is appropriate. Anything from an official source. Things like utility bills, council tax bills, letters from the GP, HMRC, Benefits Office, bank statements, credit card bills, water rates. I myself used a current account switch letter for mine.
Just make sure you have 3 different sources/companies the letters came from and that you have originals or certified/stamped copies. You have to cover the whole 2 year period remember so space them out evenly and they have to either be in joint names (a joint account addressed only to you wouldn't count as joint) or you can submit 2 x single named documents for the same timeframe as long as they're both at the same address.

What's most important though is the from at least 3 different sources. Council tax + electric/gas + bank could be a good combo for example. If you don't have anything in joint names then you'd need 12 documents submitted total (2 x 6 individual items). immigration-for-family-members/flr-m-do ... 68461.html has some other examples

rssfed23
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rssfed23 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:51 am

thedancingotter wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:42 pm
I'm not sure if it should be (a) or (b). She initially had a student visa when we applied for a spouse visa and this is technically her first extension on Leave to Remain, so my instinct is leading me towards (a) but I've read conflicting comments elsewhere that (a) refers to Enter to Remain...
This is her first extension as a partner so A. The initial spouse visa wasn't an extension.

thedancingotter
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by thedancingotter » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:23 am

rssfed23 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:49 am
The bank account is fine like you say it's a proper savings account. As long as you've got the required length of time evidence through statements (and those are original statements or certified copies by the bank) then that's fine. Make sure the amount doesn't dip below the threshold at any point during the time period your evidencing.

The application does give guidance as to what kind of documentation is appropriate. Anything from an official source. Things like utility bills, council tax bills, letters from the GP, HMRC, Benefits Office, bank statements, credit card bills, water rates. I myself used a current account switch letter for mine.
Just make sure you have 3 different sources/companies the letters came from and that you have originals or certified/stamped copies. You have to cover the whole 2 year period remember so space them out evenly and they have to either be in joint names (a joint account addressed only to you wouldn't count as joint) or you can submit 2 x single named documents for the same timeframe as long as they're both at the same address.

What's most important though is the from at least 3 different sources. Council tax + electric/gas + bank could be a good combo for example. If you don't have anything in joint names then you'd need 12 documents submitted total (2 x 6 individual items). immigration-for-family-members/flr-m-do ... 68461.html has some other examples
Thank you for your response, that's good to hear. I'll make sure to have the evidence showing the amount has been above the requirement for the at least the whole 6 months prior to the application.

And sadly we don't have any documents in both our names, so it's 12 documents spread evenly between us throughout the two years from a variety of sources (Bank, HMRC, NHS, Utility bills, etc...)

Thanks again :)
rssfed23 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:51 am
thedancingotter wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:42 pm
This is her first extension as a partner so A. The initial spouse visa wasn't an extension.
Thank you, that makes sense.

thedancingotter
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by thedancingotter » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:28 am

I also had one further question if anyone knows. I'm assuming the start date of the new visa will be based upon the date of approval as opposed to date of application. I ask this because I understand 60 months is required for ILR under the 5 year route and her visa doesn't expire until March. So we plan on submitting the application soon and intend to get an appointment date closer to March such that there's less risk of us needing to extend again before ILR.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:55 am

thedancingotter wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:28 am
I also had one further question if anyone knows. I'm assuming the start date of the new visa will be based upon the date of approval as opposed to date of application. I ask this because I understand 60 months is required for ILR under the 5 year route and her visa doesn't expire until March. So we plan on submitting the application soon and intend to get an appointment date closer to March such that there's less risk of us needing to extend again before ILR.
Date of online submission of application will be considered the date of application and the date of biometrics even can be after expiry. So If you submits your application before expiry then will be covered by section 3C until decision which will also be counted towards 60 months of qualifying period needs for ILR. Unless the personal circumstances/visa policy is not changing the application preferably be submitted very close to expiry for avoiding every single chance of any shortfall.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

thedancingotter
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by thedancingotter » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:02 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:55 am
thedancingotter wrote:
Date of online submission of application will be considered the date of application and the date of biometrics even can be after expiry. So If you submits your application before expiry then will be covered by section 3C until decision which will also be counted towards 60 months of qualifying period needs for ILR. Unless the personal circumstances/visa policy is not changing the application preferably be submitted very close to expiry for avoiding every single chance of any shortfall.
Thanks, and the date of application is what will be the 'start date' of the new visa (and therefor expiry is +30months). If that's the case then I should hold off applying until closer to the expiry date - between 28 and 14 days I believe. I'd like to avoid having to get another extension just to cover the shortfall of a few days / months.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:00 pm

thedancingotter wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:02 pm
seagul wrote:
thedancingotter wrote:
Thanks, and the date of application is what will be the 'start date' of the new visa (and therefor expiry is +30months). If that's the case then I should hold off applying until closer to the expiry date - between 28 and 14 days I believe. I'd like to avoid having to get another extension just to cover the shortfall of a few days / months.
The start date of new visa will be whenever the decision will be made. But the gap between the expiry of previous visa until the decision date will be covered by section 3C if you apply online before the expiry of visa same as already told. You can apply anytime before expiry.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

thedancingotter
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by thedancingotter » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:51 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:00 pm
thedancingotter wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:02 pm
seagul wrote:
thedancingotter wrote:
The start date of new visa will be whenever the decision will be made. But the gap between the expiry of previous visa until the decision date will be covered by section 3C if you apply online before the expiry of visa same as already told. You can apply anytime before expiry.
I see, so perhaps I should have rephrased. If we're applying online and going through the Super Priority service, a decision will be made after my UKVCAS appointment. Which means there's no harm in us applying quite early, ie. January, and booking our UKVCAS appointment closer to the expiry date, which means there shouldn't be any shortfall in the duration because the visa start date is determined by decision date and therefor the appointment date.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:04 pm

If you are applying to remain with the same family member, they should also add any remaining leave (up to a maximum of 28 days) to the validity period of the new visa.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

There is also a time limit on how long after submitting the application you have to get the biometric appointment done, though I can't recall how long it is.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:15 pm

thedancingotter wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:51 pm
Which means there's no harm in us applying quite early, ie. January, and booking our UKVCAS appointment closer to the expiry date, which means there shouldn't be any shortfall in the duration because the visa start date is determined by decision date and therefor the appointment date.
If you wish then yes you can but there is limit until then you have to enrol biometrics. Also by using the super priority service there is no guarantee of receiving the decision quickly.

thedancingotter
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by thedancingotter » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:17 pm

geoeng wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:04 pm
If you are applying to remain with the same family member, they should also add any remaining leave (up to a maximum of 28 days) to the validity period of the new visa.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

There is also a time limit on how long after submitting the application you have to get the biometric appointment done, though I can't recall how long it is.
Ok thanks, so I'll research the time limit on when you can book the appointment and work out when best to apply such that ~28 days are carried over.

thedancingotter
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by thedancingotter » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:18 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:15 pm
thedancingotter wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:51 pm
Which means there's no harm in us applying quite early, ie. January, and booking our UKVCAS appointment closer to the expiry date, which means there shouldn't be any shortfall in the duration because the visa start date is determined by decision date and therefor the appointment date.
If you wish then yes you can but there is limit until then you have to enrol biometrics. Also by using the super priority service there is no guarantee of receiving the decision quickly.
Thanks. I understand there's no guarantee but in most cases it seems to be resolved by the end of the next business day.