ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with less than 3 weeks left on BRP?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saltypopcorn44
Newly Registered
Philippines

Travelling with less than 3 weeks left on BRP?

Post by saltypopcorn44 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:13 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm on the 10 year private life route and my current leave expires on the 16th of July 2020.

I would like to travel to Europe between 25th June to 1st July, with the intention of applying to extend my leave on the same day I get back on the 1st of July - only 15 days prior to the expiry of my current leave.

Will I encounter any problems at the border if I did this? Will immigration officials allow me to travel at all let alone re-enter the UK with such little time left on my BRP?

It's not absolutely necessary to travel between those dates, it would just be ideal. If it's going to cause too much trouble for me, then of course I will instead apply the normal recommended time (28 days prior to expiry) and only travel once my leave has been extended and my new BRP issued.

Thank you in advance. Happy New Year!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelling with less than 3 weeks left on BRP?

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:19 pm

You are free to travel and re-enter the UK as long as you have a valid visa.

The issue you might have is the EU country border as they usually require at least 3 to 6 months (it varies per country) validity on your UK visa to get a Schengen visa etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

saltypopcorn44
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by saltypopcorn44 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:33 pm

Hello, thanks so much for your quick response!

I actually already possess a Schengen visa, which is valid for another 2 years.

My only concern in this case is that since the pre-requisite for obtaining a Schengen visa is a BRP valid for 3-6 months, my soon-to-expire BRP may not be accepted.

I think I will contact the relevant consulate to see whether they will allow me to travel with a soon-to-expire BRP. I will try to remember to update this post to hopefully help others in the same position.

Have a lovely evening.

saltypopcorn44
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by saltypopcorn44 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I have an update.

I have spoken to the Netherlands embassy and they advised me that there must be at least 3 months left on your UK BRP from the date from which you depart the Schengen area.

Unfortunately for me, this means I won't be able to travel during my ideal dates.

I hope you find this information useful. :)