ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form AN-10-19 and Settled status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

JoeCross
Newly Registered
Macedonia

Routes to UK citizenship - possible scenario?

Post by JoeCross » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 am

Hello,

I would like to ask about an opinion on a possible case scenario. So, I'm currently in the UK as a family member of an EEA citizen. My wife has settled status, and I have the pre-settled status.

Now, in a few months, I'll be able to apply for settled status. Around the same time, my wife would have the right to apply for naturalization.

I know that the EEA route to naturalization is 5 years pre-settled status, then 1 year settled status - and after a total of 6 years - you can apply to British citizenship. So, in the time when my wife will get citizenship, I'll only have the 5 years of that term.

Now, I also know that for the spouse of a British citizen, the total term to get full citizenship is 3 years, not 6.

So, is it possible, after my wife becomes a British citizen, to follow that route instead of the EEA route? After she gets it, can I immediately apply for citizenship, as a partner of a British citizen?

If yes, would there be any requirements that I or we as a couple, would need to fulfill? Like income limit or something? (as a side note, we also have 2 kids, but for them, I know that they will have the same rights as their mother)

I would really like to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Routes to UK citizenship - possible scenario?

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:13 am

Your previous post suggests you came to the UK in April this year?

British citizenship is separate and independent of the EEA/EU rules or route.

You need 5 years legal residence and 1 year settled status to apply or 5 years residence and settled status and you can apply immediately if your spouse is British at that time. If your spouse is British, your citizenship application is based on 3 years residence.

Note that your need PR or settled status/ILR, which takes 5 years, before you can apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JoeCross
Newly Registered
Macedonia

Post by JoeCross » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:10 pm

I came to the UK in April 2015, not last year. Not sure on which post yo refer that says this year?

Nevertheless, as I said, I'm familiar with the EEA route to citizenship - 5 years as pre-settled and 1 year of settled status- a total of 6 years- before you can apply for naturalization.

So, if I understood you correctly if I hold settled status, and my wife became British citizenship during that time - I can too apply for naturalization? Not needing to wait an extra year?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm

No need to wait 12 months if you are married to a British citizen provided you meet the 3 year requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JoeCross
Newly Registered
Macedonia

Post by JoeCross » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Well, that's good news, thank you guys.

JoeCross
Newly Registered
Macedonia

Form AN-10-19 and Settled status

Post by JoeCross » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:07 pm

Hello guys,

I was going through the form of AN-10-19 for becoming a British citizen via naturalization. I was puzzled by section 2.4, which states:
2.4 If you are an EEA or Swiss national or the family member of an EEA or Swiss national and
wish to use a permanent residence card to support your application, please complete the following
section.
If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme you do not
need to complete this section – make sure you have completed section 1.3 and then move on to
section 3.
So, I would like to ask about the second part - if you have settled status. It says that you need to complete section 1.3 and then move on to section 3. Does that mean that the section between 1.3 and 3(including 2) is not needed in this case? Section 2 is about Residency requirement - does that mean that you don't need that filled?

Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Form AN-10-19 and Settled status

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:34 pm

does that mean that you don't need that filled?
Correct - I read that as "after filling 1.3 go to section 3" - skipping the sections in between ....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.