ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting Ready To Apply For 2 year Spousal Extension

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SoConfused84
Newly Registered

Getting Ready To Apply For 2 year Spousal Extension

Post by SoConfused84 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Hello all.

First of all THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for all the previous information I have received from this board. In June I applied and received my FIANCE VISA within 10 days after applying due to all the help I had putting my information together.

I arrived in the U.K. on July 4th (which amused me the whole plane ride over). My fiance and I are *finally* going to be married August 30th!

I have spent the past two weeks getting ready to apply for my 2 year spousal extension, and have run into only one issue.

Our accomodation....we are currently living with my fiance's Mother and her boyfriend. And we are actually PAYING RENT to her each month which is fine. When I spoke to the man who approved my fiance visa, he said this would still be fine for when we extend my visa because we are PAYING RENT each month and the house has MORE THAN ENOUGH room for us all. (4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 1 Spam, 1 dining room, 1 living room, 1 conservatory, and a garage.) Only two bedrooms are used, theirs and ours. And 1 bathroom is for our use only.)

But from reading things on this board again, most people seem to think that this is not acceptable? So what is anyone's actual experience with renting from relatives and applying for the extension?

Thanks for any and all answers. :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:26 am

See also 9.8 - Assessing adequate accommodation for couples.

Paying rent is actually optional. There doesn't appear to be a specific requirement for you to pay rent if your relatives/friends agree to let you live with them rent-free.

Do start collecting sufficient documents for your subsequent SET(M) application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.