ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jaanu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse visa

Post by Jaanu » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 pm

Hi
I need advice please...
I get carers allowance of 66.90 per week and 87.60 fortnight of income support and I also get £100 per month child maintenance from my ex.I have 3 dependant children from my previous marriage. I live with my mother so I don't pay for rent. If I apply for my former husband do I need to come off income support. If so how many hours do I need work and how many months of payslip and bank statements I need to show .

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse visa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 pm

Are you saying you want to apply for a spouse visa for your EX husband??

If he is your ex and you are no longer in a relationship, he won't qualify.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jaanu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jaanu » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:48 pm

Hes not my ex, I'm married to him

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Jaanu wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 pm
If I apply for my former husband do I need to come off income support.
This is the sentence which is causing confusion. It would help if you could clarify what you mean by 'applying for your former husband' (i.e ex husband) :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jaanu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jaanu » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:58 pm

Sincere apology I mean my present husband. If I apply for him to join me in the uk will I have to meet the financial status £16,800. I get carers Allowance and income support top up. I also have 3 dependant children living g with me from my previous marriage.
I receive the following:
Carers Allowance, income support, child tax credit, child benefit and child maintenance. Do I need to come off income support when I apply for him.

Jaanu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jaanu » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:59 pm

Sincere apology I mean my present husband. If I apply for him to join me in the uk will I have to meet the financial status £16,800. I get carers Allowance and income support top up. I also have 3 dependant children living g with me from my previous marriage.
I receive the following:
Carers Allowance, income support, child tax credit, child benefit and child maintenance. Do I need to come off income support when I apply for him.

rssfed23
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rssfed23 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:46 am

Yes, regardless of receiving benefits you still need to meet the threshold. Everyone does for a spouse visa as a general rule.
It’s £18,600 not £16,800.

You would have to seek employment if you wanted to bring him over. You can’t rely 100% on benefit payments to make that threshold.

The whole point of the threshold is to prove a sponsor can financially sponsor their partner without relying on money from the state. It would kinda defeat the purpose if they were to be funded entirely with state money.

You would have to be working in the same job for at least 6 months before you could apply (and submit 6 months worth bank statements + payslips). If you change jobs during that time you’ll need to wait 12 months and prove through 12 months earnings that you earn over £18,600.

There’s other requirements as well in terms of pricing your marriage is genuine as this sounds like a new spouse application to me.

As to would you no longer get income support? - you’d be earning and would have to earn more than £18,600 for 6 months so yes, that would make you ineligible to receive certain benefits once you start earning.

Alternatively; if you’ve got over £65000 in savings that’s also an option.

Based on the information you’ve provided above if you’re not working today it will be at least 6 months from when you start working until you can apply. If you apply sooner you will be rejected for a spouse visa.

Jaanu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jaanu » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:47 am

I thought uf you get carers Allowance you are exempt from showing the full 18,600

rssfed23
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rssfed23 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:26 am

Jaanu wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:47 am
I thought uf you get carers Allowance you are exempt from showing the full 18,600
Doh you are of course right! - apologies OP I missed Carers allowance in your list. It does lower the limit.

In order to say how much we need to know the figures of how much of each benefit you get.
You can put these in yourself to a calculator like third party weblink removed by moderator which will give you an idea if you can meet the lowered threshold

Jaanu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jaanu » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:55 am

Thank you for your response.. what is the lowered treshold. I also have 3 dependant children living with me. Can someone one please give an exact figure I need to have before I can apply.
Thank you

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:27 pm

Jaanu wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:55 am
what is the lowered treshold. I also have 3 dependant children living with me. Can someone one please give an exact figure I need to have before I can apply.
Thank you
It is based on your personal circumstances. Your net income (A) minus your housing costs (B) must equal or exceed what an equivalent British family of the same size would receive on Income Support (C). So the formula to be used is A - B > C. Please see the guidance document linked below on the adequate maintenance route, which has several helpful example calculations and I believe also has a link to the relevant Income Support rates.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... x_1_7A.pdf
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Please see and read the calculation topic (click).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.