ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Move to UK after 31 January

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Vecchi
Newly Registered

Move to UK after 31 January

Post by Vecchi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:18 am

Is it still possible to move to the UK after 31st of January and before the new deal is reached?

EU citizen here.

Cheers

kamoe
European Union

Re: Move to UK after 31 January

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:45 am

Vecchi wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:18 am
Is it still possible to move to the UK after 31st of January and before the new deal is reached?

EU citizen here.
Depends on what you mean by that. Moving is one thing, Moving AND being able to registe to the Settlement Scheme is another.

According to the Settlement Scheme page being eligible to register for the Settlement Scheme will only be possible in a no deal scenario if you are in the UK before Brexit day:
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal
You will need to be living in the UK before it leaves the EU to apply.
However, if the UK leaves with a deal, the Brexit day dedline to move to the UK and register with the Settlement Scheme does not apply. In this case, there does not seem to be a deadline for moving to the UK, only a deadline to applying for the Settlement Scheme, which would be on 30th June 2021.

That being said, you can always move to the UK anytime you'd like, just that the latter you do it, the less chances you have to qualify for the Settlement Scheme, and the more chances you'll have to have to go through the regular immigration route as all the rest of non-EU citizens (but transitions periods taken into account, this will only happen years from now).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Vecchi
Newly Registered

Post by Vecchi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks @kamoe,

Would the Brexit day be 31st of January or 31st of December?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Vecchi wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:02 pm
Would the Brexit day be 31st of January or 31st of December?
Taking your question literally, it feels like if you are asking me to look into a glass ball and predict the future :D

Interpreting your question as I believe you mean it, Brexit day is whatever date the UK actually and officially leaves the EU. As of today, this date is supposed and assumed to be January 31st 2020 (unless another last-minute extension is granted).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Vecchi
Newly Registered

Post by Vecchi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 pm

lol
I read my question now and I see the mistake.

What I meant was:

Would the Brexit day be 31st of January deal/no deal date (with right now being 31st of December)?

You say would be 31st of January, but the website says would be (currently) 31st of December?

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal
You will need to be living in the UK before it leaves the EU to apply. The deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020.

But the way you see it is that leave the EU means 31st of January?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:33 pm

Vecchi wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 pm
You will need to be living in the UK before it leaves the EU to apply. The deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020.
The line above does NOT mean, I repeat, does NOT mean, that Brexit day = 31 December 2020.
Brexit or "the day the UK leaves the EU" is NOT synonymous with the word "deadline".

What the line above is really saying is:

1) There will be a Brexit day, someday.

They used to put a specific date last year, but since that date was changed four times already, from March 31st, to April 12th, to October 31st, and now to January 31st 2020, the HO decided to just say "when the UK leaves the EU" in all of their communications, so that they don't have to edit all pages if the date changes again. Clever, huh? (:P)

2) The deadline for applying to the Settlement Scheme in case of no deal Brexit is 31st of December, 2020

it is a common misunderstanding to interpret that Brexit day is the same as the deadline for applying to the Settlement Scheme. This is not true. As you can see in alll communications from the Home Office, the deadline for applying to the Settlement Scheme has always been set at a later date than any of the previously proposed Brexit dates, because it is all planned to be a transition period to allow people plenty of time to adjust and make plans accordingly.

aw17
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by aw17 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm

anybody EU nationl who is living in uk (If you arrive in the UK after 11pm on the day it leaves the EU, you can stay until 31 December 2020. If you want to stay longer, you’ll need to apply for European temporary leave to remain. The government will announce more details about this scheme if the UK leaves the EU without an agreement.
this link will give you more details
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immig ... er-brexit/

Vecchi
Newly Registered

Post by Vecchi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 am

aw17 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm
anybody EU nationl who is living in uk (If you arrive in the UK after 11pm on the day it leaves the EU, you can stay until 31 December 2020.
This looks like is just for leaving without a deal.