ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does mezzanine floor count as room?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ivankali
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Does mezzanine floor count as room?

Post by ivankali » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi, I am planning to sponsor my wife to apply for spouse visa together with my step child. I currently live in an annex with a mezzanine floor above the living area on my own.

I don’t intend to live here when they come, but I don’t want to move to a proper house just yet to minimise cost.

Would it be possible to claim that, if my landlord agrees, I have exclusive space in terms of treating the mezzanine and living room as bedrooms?

Thanks for your help on this topic.

secret.simon

Re: Does mezzanine floor count as room?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 pm

Is the mezzanine floor within the same room? Or does it have a separate door/entrance from outside?

I think that I know the kind of room you likely have, where the room (typically a studio) has high ceilings and there is a loft/mezzanine area within the room, generally used as a sleeping area, while the area below is used as a part of the living room/studio. If that is the case, I would say that that counts as one room, not two.

Another way of thinking about it is that what you have got is a really tall bed :) But that does not make it a separate room.

But I would leave it for others to advise further.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ivankali
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ivankali » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:51 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes there is a staircase leading up to another floor which is not closed off from the living area. Would it sound fishy if i rent another place just before the application?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:36 am

ivankali wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:51 am
. Would it sound fishy if i rent another place just before the application?
Sensible idea
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.