ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I Claim French nationality

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

google
Newly Registered

Can I Claim French nationality

Post by google » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:50 am

Hi there,
I just have a quick question if anybody could help me with this. I am british national born and bred in england.My mums dad was french and her mum was welsh national.My mum is died and so her dad. Can i get french nationality through my descent.
Any idea please help

cantaro

Re: Can I Claim French nationality

Post by cantaro » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:56 am

google wrote:My mums dad was french […] Can i get french nationality through my descent.
According to what I was able to find, it is likely that you will not be able to claim French nationality by descent:
http://www.euskosare.org/euskal_herria/euskal_herrian_bizi/french_nationality wrote:Conditions to obtain the nationality :

By filiation

* French is the son, legitimate or illegitimate with, at least, one of its parents being of french nationality.

[...]

Loss of french nationality

Automatic loss by disuse

The person who established its residence abroad, as well as its ancestors, more than fifty years ago and which cannot present any evidence of french nationality for him nor for its ancestors of french origin (french identity documents, transcription of certificate by the civil register, military affairs, etc.) can not pretend to the french nationality by filiation.

The residence of a foreigner abroad for a period of fifty years and the absence of possesion of the french nationality for two generations are accumulatives. It refers to the case of a family which possess another nationality and which deliberately has left France.
Your best bet is to gather all documentary evidence you can find and ask your French embassy.