ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Discrimination - Over looking HSMP applicants

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

T1_Mainframe

Discrimination - Over looking HSMP applicants

Post by T1_Mainframe » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi folks,

Yesterday, I have received a communication, in response to a vacancy I had applied for, stating they are not considering HSMP candidates at the moment.

Its really strange to reject an application based on type of visa. What is the use of Tier1 visa if employers have their own reservation to choose the candidates.

Employer - BritInsurance

Thanks.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:37 pm

Maybe they just want people without time-limited visas,?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Discrimination - Over looking HSMP applicants

Post by sakura » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:08 pm

T1_Mainframe wrote:Hi folks,

Yesterday, I have received a communication, in response to a vacancy I had applied for, stating they are not considering HSMP candidates at the moment.

Its really strange to reject an application based on type of visa. What is the use of Tier1 visa if employers have their own reservation to choose the candidates.

Employer - BritInsurance

Thanks.
Did you ask them why? Maybe you should point out some government policies on the HSMP and/or employment. It could be that they do not know much about the HSMP and think it is the same as a work permit. Or, it could just be as wanderer wrote - that they want someone with a visa longer than that which you have?

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:25 pm

My visa is yet not effective, will be effective from September end. 3 Years is long enough to offer a position. In such a dynamic market, I do not think any employer can/should look for a candidate serving them more than a year or max two, government sector could be an exception. But a private company like BritInsurance can't.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Companies, or sometimes the particular recruitment staff managing this vacancy, can be very short sighted.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm

And the end of the day it's the companies prerogative to employ who they like. I don't think it's discriminative, - just business.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:54 pm

Simple - Keep looking for an employer who doesn't discriminate against you for being HSMP.

When you find a good one - take the job. Reward that employer for accepting you for who you are, and work very hard for them utilitizing the many skills you no doubt have.

Keep a list of all these companies that have discriminated against you over the years. When you gain permanent residency &/or British Citizenship, you will then be the one in charge to decide whether as customer or applicant you wish to discriminate against them. You don't have to - it's entirely up to your principles and sense of fairness, is it not? :wink:
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

netacct

Post by netacct » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:40 pm

A lot of companies prefer to hire someone who is native in all sense...if they can find...

Some companies/agencies are open giving you that feedback that they don't want to hire someone who is on HSMP....some won't give that feedback but some diplomatic answer...

There are plenty of fish and in my opinion there is not point worrying about too much about such experiences....if you got skill someone will definitely hire you....

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:27 pm

netacct wrote:A lot of companies prefer to hire someone who is native in all sense...if they can find...

Some companies/agencies are open giving you that feedback that they don't want to hire someone who is on HSMP....some won't give that feedback but some diplomatic answer...

There are plenty of fish and in my opinion there is not point worrying about too much about such experiences....if you got skill someone will definitely hire you....
Which is so silly because once you become naturalized, then your CV may not show experience from outside of the UK and they would be none the wiser.

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:47 pm

I find though that such practice raises questions.

If the law of the land has given you the right to work without any restrictions on what basis can a company's private policy supersede the law?

Many people who are full British Citizens join companies and then leave at short notice - illness, marriage, change of circumstance you name it. What of people who are ill with say HIV or some other life threatening disease? Should they be refused employment too because their time may be up? And when it is all said and done who can guarantee that tomorrow they will still be on this planet?

So I say yes 100% it is discrimation. And it is blatantly so and I am surprised how blind some are to this.

On HSMP there is no restriction on the type of work / employer you can take. So I say drop that employer an email / correspondence in a clever way that gets them to admit that they don't want you because you are on HSMP. Then once you got that initiate a tribunal case. In fact once you get something from them confirming that it is because you are HSMP - i.e they dont want you because you are highly skilled - you can also serve them a race relations questionnaire. You are entitled to apply and to do the job just as much as the british passport holder.
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:48 pm

There are number of ways to say the same thing...but message could be same thing.

To put it more straight, some people are biased or to be more straight dearly beloved...

No everyone prefers to hire solely based on the merit...

PLEASE NOTE: I am not pointing finger at any particular race/nationality etc etc etc...This exists everywhere in the world and it happens more openly in my country as well...

In my last job, my senior manager did not like to hire Indians but he had no choice as he was saying that 80% CVs he would receive were from Indians...

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:40 am

William Blake wrote:On HSMP there is no restriction on the type of work / employer you can take. So I say drop that employer an email / correspondence in a clever way that gets them to admit that they don't want you because you are on HSMP. Then once you got that initiate a tribunal case. In fact once you get something from them confirming that it is because you are HSMP - i.e they dont want you because you are highly skilled - you can also serve them a race relations questionnaire.
William Blake, stop and think for a second. If that were to happen, I can see recruitment managers steering well clear of HSMP applicants. They will just brush HSMP CVs aside and won't return any mail or calls.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:50 am

I think you will find that the changes in the law this year in regards employing non EEA staff has put off some employers. It is seen as an extra hassle they can do without so just stay away from employing non EEA staff.

Despite what some might think it can not be described as discrimination. Employment law in the UK is very clear on the issues in regards what constitutes discrimination. Not considering an application because of the immigration status of the individual is not one such issue. The employer is now far more liable for the immigration status and the penalties that can be imposed if they fail in their obligations. For some that is a risk they are not prepared to take.

In the current economic climate especially in the financial industry there is going to be a lot of blood letting, 20,000 jobs are expected to go before the end of the year. There will be no shortage of EEA staff with UK based knowledge and skills, and they will be willing to accept lower salaries. So do not be surprised as UK plc enters more deeply into recession that the opportunities diminish for non EEA workers. The land of milk and honey is moving to bread and water for a couple of years.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:58 am

Wanderer wrote:And the end of the day it's the companies prerogative to employ who they like. I don't think it's discriminative, - just business.
Anyway, while I think its stupid to say we are not employing hsmp visa holders, sometimes people just don't say we picked someone else and use an excuse instead of being direct.
It may very well be they just not direct and too weak to say the truth.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:18 am

In reply to WB.

Show me anywhere in employment law that gives non EEA nationals the rights that you seem to think they have. An employer can happily state that they do not want to employ anyone without permanent rights of residence in the UK. The Government does it all the time!

Even if the employer writes back and states we are not employing HSMP workers that is not discrimination. If am employer does not want to take on staff with limited leave they do not have to. There is no mandatory right to employment because you have a work visa. The very nature of the limited leave is reason enough for an emplyer to say they do not want to be constarained be the potentail limited time the employee can remain in the country.

I could understand if the employer said "we ain't taking no Indians cause they don't speak proper English, like" the individual would be being discriminated against because of his ethnic back ground. HOWEVER even then the requirements of the job could be a defense if it could be demonstrated that the standard of (local) English language knowledge was material to the proper performance of the role it would then be reasonable to exclude ANYONE who did not meet THEIR requirements. Think about it - when was the last time you heard a BBC news reader talking Jamaican jive on the 6 o'clock news!

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:30 am

William Blake wrote:I find though that such practice raises questions.

If the law of the land has given you the right to work without any restrictions on what basis can a company's private policy supersede the law?

Many people who are full British Citizens join companies and then leave at short notice - illness, marriage, change of circumstance you name it. What of people who are ill with say HIV or some other life threatening disease? Should they be refused employment too because their time may be up? And when it is all said and done who can guarantee that tomorrow they will still be on this planet?

So I say yes 100% it is discrimation. And it is blatantly so and I am surprised how blind some are to this.

On HSMP there is no restriction on the type of work / employer you can take. So I say drop that employer an email / correspondence in a clever way that gets them to admit that they don't want you because you are on HSMP. Then once you got that initiate a tribunal case. In fact once you get something from them confirming that it is because you are HSMP - i.e they dont want you because you are highly skilled - you can also serve them a race relations questionnaire. You are entitled to apply and to do the job just as much as the british passport holder.
I think it is outrageous too but it just sounds like an ignorant employer. I have had agency freak out on me because my visa is going to expire and I haven't received my renewal. Sometimes you have to educate employers and say to them in a timely manner, why aren't you taking HSMP candidates? What risk do you feel they impose? and address them. It was the same when I got here, they didn't know what HSMP was and wouldn't hire me because they thought they needed to get me a visa anyway. There are always hurdles it is up to you to work around them. Not so sure suing and making a scene is one of them. Perhaps I quick email back to them stating that you visa doesn't expire until such and such a date and as long as you are working you would get an extension since you plan to stay. If you can tell me what your concerns are, then I can perhaps assuage your fears on hiring HSMP visa holders. Then at least you can get to the crux of the problem. That is if you really want the job.

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:19 pm

paulp wrote:
William Blake wrote:On HSMP there is no restriction on the type of work / employer you can take. So I say drop that employer an email / correspondence in a clever way that gets them to admit that they don't want you because you are on HSMP. Then once you got that initiate a tribunal case. In fact once you get something from them confirming that it is because you are HSMP - i.e they dont want you because you are highly skilled - you can also serve them a race relations questionnaire.
William Blake, stop and think for a second. If that were to happen, I can see recruitment managers steering well clear of HSMP applicants. They will just brush HSMP CVs aside and won't return any mail or calls.
Of course I can see that could happen but if I were in OP's shoes I'd still litigate. Thats why the American system is so much better. Once you have the job offer then you are required to prove your right to work. A much better way of elimintaing the discrimination and a method that ensures employment on merit.

The Federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 prohibits employers from hiring "aliens" ...Once you have accepted the offer, you will be required to document your right to work by surrendering one of the following:

A United States papssport
a Gren card
A combination of a birth certificate or social security card and a drivers license

- Ron Fry, Author and recruiter

I think there are valid arguments for legal action and I think in time the UK regulation will come to match that in America either through litigation or other pressure. eg. age discrimination act existed long before in America before they did the same here.

Because not only can you face discrimination for being on a limited visa you could have permanent residency but once you produce your passport before a job offer, well who is to say that the recruiter may not just think "oh I didn't realize you were from such an such place" and find reasons not to proceed with your application. I am sure this happens and probably a lot more than we think. So submitting passport after job offer is much better than what UK regulations demand now.
Some to misery are born.

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:31 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:I think you will find that the changes in the law this year in regards employing non EEA staff has put off some employers. It is seen as an extra hassle they can do without so just stay away from employing non EEA staff.

Despite what some might think it can not be described as discrimination. Employment law in the UK is very clear on the issues in regards what constitutes discrimination. Not considering an application because of the immigration status of the individual is not one such issue. The employer is now far more liable for the immigration status and the penalties that can be imposed if they fail in their obligations. For some that is a risk they are not prepared to take.

In the current economic climate especially in the financial industry there is going to be a lot of blood letting, 20,000 jobs are expected to go before the end of the year. There will be no shortage of EEA staff with UK based knowledge and skills, and they will be willing to accept lower salaries. So do not be surprised as UK plc enters more deeply into recession that the opportunities diminish for non EEA workers. The land of milk and honey is moving to bread and water for a couple of years.
What if it was the other way around? What if the company said they were only going to higher HSMP - is that discrimination ?

Whatever label you give it, it is certainly unjust. Not hiring becasue the person's immigration status means you ought not to is one thing, not hiring when the candidate has the right to work is a far removed other thing and I feel a tribunal would see it as discriminatory. It obviously is discrimation as the company is discriminating - duh - between two groups

Frontier Mole wrote:In reply to WB.

The Government does it all the time!
Well then it must be lawful and right if the government does it :roll:
Frontier Mole wrote:In reply to WB.

Show me anywhere in employment law that gives non EEA nationals the rights that you seem to think they have.
I would like to think those rights exist if not on the law books inalienably / inherently / human rights. Otherwise if we don't have such rights on the law books we ought to be getting / fighting to establish them. OP start by suing that company ! :)
Last edited by William Blake on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some to misery are born.

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:47 pm

thought covered
Some to misery are born.

Post by 1971 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:44 pm

@All,
You are who you are, no matter what they say... You are still Highly Skilled Migrant. Dont be put off by this. Many of us on this forum has heard worst (overqualified, no UK experience e.t.c) and today we are contributing actively and positively to the UK economy. Keep pushing, the sky is not the limit. Dont limit your vision by 'cheap comments or statements' from either the Recruiters or Employers who dont know more than you.

Cheers/1971.