ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR for spouse of EU national

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SJ3072018
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

PR for spouse of EU national

Post by SJ3072018 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 pm

My cousin is married to EU national and they are living in the UK for 8 years. HE holds Srilankan passport and his wife and children have French passport. Can he apply for ILR in the UK?
If so, in what catergory? and what sort of supporting documents he need?
He and his wife work part-time. Does he require to meet any financial requirements?

your response would be highly appreciated.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR for spouse of EU national

Post by zimba » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:22 pm

What is his current immigration status ?? What is his visa ? Is he here as a family member of an EEA citizen ?
Remember ILR is a settlement status generally granted to people under UK immigration rules and NOT the EEA rules
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

SJ3072018
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Post by SJ3072018 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks Zimba.

Sorry for not being clear in my earlier post. Yes, he is here as a family member of an EU citizen (a French national). He is in this immigration category for 8 years in the UK and he wants to see if he can apply for permenant residency here.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:11 pm

ILR is not appropriate. He should apply for settlement under the EU settlement scheme: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:11 pm
ILR is not appropriate. He should apply for settlement under the EU settlement scheme: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families
And he should then get a privileged sort of ILR, namely ILR under the EU settlement scheme.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: PR for spouse of EU national

Post by zimba » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:19 pm

EU settlement scheme grants settlement status to EEA citizens/family members eligible and it is a meant to be a replacement for Permanent Residence status (PR). ILR is a form of settled status under UK immigration rules granted to non-EU citizens/family members

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: PR for spouse of EU national

Post by Richard W » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:30 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:19 pm
EU settlement scheme grants settlement status to EEA citizens/family members eligible and it is a meant to be a replacement for Permanent Residence status (PR). ILR is a form of settled status under UK immigration rules granted to non-EU citizens/family members
The EU settlement scheme is part of the Immigration Rules - Appendix EU to be precise. As I have said, it is a privileged form - there is a process for certain ILR holders to upgraded to ILR under the EU Settlement Scheme.

The first rule and a bit read
EU1. This Part of this Appendix sets out the basis on which an EEA citizen and their family members, and the family members of a qualifying British citizen, will, if they apply under it, be granted indefinite leave to enter or remain or limited leave to enter or remain.

EU2. The applicant will be granted indefinite leave to enter (where the application is made outside the UK) or indefinite leave to remain (where the application is made within the UK) where: