ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are we eligible for defacto visa?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zorbing32
Newly Registered
Ireland

Are we eligible for defacto visa?

Post by zorbing32 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi there,

I have trawled the INIS website and google, and I can't find the answer to this question, so I'm hoping someone here may know what to do.

I am a non-EEA individual, here in Ireland on a student visa. I have been here for a number of years, and I am now living with and settled with an Irish citizen and have been for circa 2 1/2 years.

My spouse is separated and has been separated from his wife for the last 4 years, and they are intending to divorce - providing my spouses ex will sign the papers.

Due to the expiration of my visa, we're looking at applying for me to stay on a defacto visa. We can provide all proof of the duration of our relationship, and that we have a true and honest relationship, however would the fact my partner is not yet divorced impact the application?

Granista
BANNED
American Samoa

Re: Are we eligible for defacto visa?

Post by Granista » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:53 pm

Yes, it most likely would. De facto means a relationship akin to marriage, you are asking to be considered to be the spouse albeit not legally married. if your sponsor is still married, they have a spouse already, and you are not it.
Doesn't mean you can't get it, but you would need to show an awful lot of evidence that they are going to be divorced. And if you are applying because you've come to the end of long term student permission, that is going to look suspect anyway....