ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I still travel free to Europe after Brexit as a family member of European citizens

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Gosiakay
Mood:
Nigeria

Can I still travel free to Europe after Brexit as a family member of European citizens

Post by Gosiakay » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:01 pm

Can someone please help me to clarify this question .

am a family member of European citizen and I have residence card for 5 years also having pre settle status which allowed me to travel with my wife to another European countries without a visa. I just want know what will happen after Brexit?
Can I still travel with my wife without a visa to Europe after Brexit?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Can I still travel free to Europe after Brexit as a family member of European citizens

Post by Amber » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:38 am

There is a transition period until the end of the year in which all the rules stay the same.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Gosiakay
Mood:
Nigeria

Re: Can I still travel free to Europe after Brexit as a family member of European citizens

Post by Gosiakay » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 am

I know that at transition period everything is still the same,but I mean after transition period.what will happen to eu family member who want to travel to another European country?thanks

cruze24
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by cruze24 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:38 am

as things stays at the moment you will need a visa to visit europe after 2020 unless you have a dual citizen means uk and france

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:04 am

Gosiakay wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 am
I know that at transition period everything is still the same,but I mean after transition period.what will happen to eu family member who want to travel to another European country?thanks
Remember that all EEA Residence Cards will cease to be valid after 31st December 2020. That's your answer.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card
If you already have a residence card it will not be valid after 31 December 2020.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:47 am

kamoe wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:04 am
Gosiakay wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 am
Remember that all EEA Residence Cards will cease to be valid after 31st December 2020. That's your answer.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card
If you already have a residence card it will not be valid after 31 December 2020.
They’ll cease to be valid without EUSS status as I read it? If they state that EUSS card will only be issued unless you already have a valid card (or from forum if you wish to switch), this - in my picture of the world - means that if I have EEA card valid till 2023 and EUSS status till 2025, I can use the same card till 2023.

I understand that this validity has most probably nothing to do with visa free travel to Europe. My understanding that it’ll be ceased on 31/12/2020